Transformation and Characterization of Cement Clinker Prepared from New Structured Red Mud by Sintering
- 20 Downloads
Sodium aluminosilicate hydrate is the main equilibrium solid phase of Bayer red mud. Owing to the alkaline insoluble phase, the saltpetering of Bayer red mud tends to occur over time, even after washing procedures. This prevents the large-scale utilization of Bayer red mud for the production of cement, brick, subgrade materials, etc. In this study, a new type of red mud (C-C residue), structured through calcification–carbonization treatment, was used to produce cement clinker. The mineral transformation was studied and the phase, micromorphology, chemical composition, f-CaO content, bending strength and compressive strength of the clinker were characterized. The results show the transformation of C-C residue into the effective components (Ca3SiO5, Ca2SiO4, Ca2FexAl2–xO5 and Ca3Al2O6) of the cement clinker. The chemical composition, f-CaO content and cement strength met the Chinese national standards. Therefore, sintering C-C residue provides a promising solution to the problem of red mud stockpiling.
This study was financially supported by the National Natural Science Foundation of China (U1710257, U1202274), the State Key Laboratory Fund (YY2016006), the Fundamental Research Fund for the Central Universities of China (N162506003) and the Science and Technology Leading Talents Training Plan (2017HA012).
- 2.H.N. Gu, N. Wang, H.B. Liu, Y.H. Fu, H.F. Tang, and Y.J. Tian, Acta Mineral. Sin. S1, 105 (2010).Google Scholar
- 9.F. Yang, The Existing Form of Alkali in Red Mud and the Research of Immobilization Methods, master’s thesis (Taiyuan: North University of China, 2015), pp. 2–8.Google Scholar
- 11.C.S. Lv, J.W. Wang, Y.Z. Jia, H.L. Liu, and G.W. Li, J. Saf. Environ. 13, 98 (2013).Google Scholar
- 16.T.A. Zhang, G.Z. Lv, Y. Liu, Z.M. Zhang, X.F. Zhu, Z.H. Dou. International Patent US15/303,408 (US patent), 2014392419 (Australian patent), 14891022.7 (European Patent).Google Scholar
- 18.Y.X. Wang, T.A. Zhang, G.Z. Lv, W.G. Zhang, X.F. Zhu, and L.Q. Xie, Light Met. 2017, 61 (2017).Google Scholar
- 19.J. Zheng, The Basic Research of Recovering Sodium Oxide and Alumina from Sodium Aluminosilicate Hydrate, master’s thesis (Changsha: Central South University, 2012), pp. 1–72.Google Scholar
- 26.K. Hammond, B. Mishra, D. Apelian, and B. Blanpain, JOM 3, 340 (2013).Google Scholar