Thermal Cycling of Sintered Silver (Ag) Joint as Die-Attach Material
- 162 Downloads
Sintered silver is a promising die-attach material capable of operating at temperatures of more than 200°C. However, while sintering reliably bonds Ag paste on Ag-plated substrate, reliability studies are needed to understand the behavior of this sintered bond on copper and direct bond copper (DBC) substrates. Here, we thermally cycled micron-Ag and nano-Ag joints created via sintering on Cu, DBC, and Ag-plated substrates between − 65°C and 150°C in order to understand their evolving microstructures and reliability. Short periods at high temperature did not oxidize the substrate, but the absence of copper oxides did not prevent adhesive failure of the nano-Ag joint at the Cu interface. We found that Ag filler size influences pore shapes, pore sizes, and shear strength; the micron-Ag joint produced a mixture of irregular and regular spherical pore shapes that reduced bond strength more than the predominantly spherical pores present in the nano-Ag joint.
We acknowledge financial support for this work from Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia Research Grant GUP-2017 055, “Production of Metallic Conducting Nanowires for Industrial Applications”.
- 3.A.S. Zuruzi and K.S. Siow, Electron. Mater. Lett. 11, 315 (2014).Google Scholar
- 5.L.S. Pei, B. Pan, H. Zhang, W. Ng, B. Wu, K.S. Siow, S. Sabne, and M. Tsuriya, in International Conference on Electronic Packaging Technology (IEEE Yamagata, Japan, 2017), p. 51.Google Scholar
- 9.A.A. Wereszczak, D.J. Vuono, H. Wang, M.K. Ferber, and Z. Liang, Properties of bulk sintered silver as a function of porosity (Oak Ridge National Lab., 2012), https://www.osti.gov/biblio/1041433/. Accessed 3 Oct 2018.
- 11.T. Herboth, C. Fruh, M. Gunther, and J. Wilde, in 13th International Conference on Thermal, Mechanical and Multi-Physics Simulation and Experiments in Microelectronics and Microsystems (Cascais, 2012).Google Scholar
- 12.F. Le Henaff, G. Greca, P. Salerno, O. Mathieu, M. Reger, O. Khaselev, M. Boureghda, J. Durham, A. Lifton, and J.C. Harel, in Proceedings of PCIM Europe 2016; International Exhibition and Conference for Power Electronics, Intelligent Motion, Renewable Energy and Energy Management (VDE: 2016), p. 1.Google Scholar
- 14.R. Mrossko, H. Oppermann, B. Wunderle, and B. Michel, in Proceedings of NSTI Nanotechnology Conference and Expo, NSTI-Nanotech 2011 (Boston, MA, 2011), p. 149.Google Scholar
- 17.S. Sakamoto, T. Sugahara, and K. Suganuma, J. Mater. Sci.: Mater. Electron. 24, 1332 (2013).Google Scholar
- 19.M. Knoerr, S. Kraft, and A. Schletz, in 12th Electronic Packaging Technology Conference (IEEE, Singapore, 2010), p. 56.Google Scholar
- 20.R. Eisele, J. Rudzki, and M. Kock, in International Exhibition & Conference for Power Electronics, Intelligent Motion, Power Quality (Curran Associates Inc.: Nuremberg, Germany, 2007), p. 60.Google Scholar
- 21.C. Weber, M. Hutter, S. Schmitz, and K.-D. Lang, in 65th Electronics and Computer Technology, (IEEE, San Diego, 2015), p. 1866.Google Scholar
- 22.C. Chen, C. Choe, Z. Zhang, D. Kim, and K. Suganuma, J. Mat. Sci.: Mat. Electron. 29, 14335 (2018).Google Scholar
- 23.T. Herboth, M. Guenther, A. Fix, and J. Wilde, in 63rd IEEE Electronic Components and Technology Conference (IEEE, Las Vegas, 2013), p. 1621.Google Scholar
- 25.S.T. Chua, K. Siow, and A. Jalar, in 36th International Electronics Manufacturing Technology (IEEE, Johor Bahru, Malaysia, 2014), p. 1.Google Scholar
- 29.G.C. Dong, X. Chen, G.Q. Lu, in 11th IEEE Intersociety Conference on Thermal Thermomechanical Phenomena in Electronic Systems (IEEE, Orlando, FL, 2008), p. 793.Google Scholar
- 30.S. Chen and H. Zhang, Silver Sintering and Soldering: Bonding Process and Comparison, ed. by K.S. Siow (Springer, Cham, 2019), p. 1.Google Scholar
- 31.K. Suganuma and J. Jiu, in Advanced Bonding Technology Based on Nano-and Micro-metal Pastes, ed. by D. Lu, Wong C.P. (Springer, Cham, 2017), p. 589.Google Scholar
- 33.A. Masson, C. Buttay, H. Morel, C. Raynaud, S. Hascoet, and L. Gremillard, in Proceedings 14th European Conference Power Electronics Applcations (Birmingham, IEEE, 2011), p. 1.Google Scholar
- 35.G.-Q. Lu, J.N. Calata, G. Lei, and X. Chen, in Proceedings International Conference on Thermal, Mechanical and Multi-Physics Simulation and Experiments in Microelectronics and Microsystems (London, IEEE, 2007), p. 1.Google Scholar