Effects of Trace Carbon Contents on Lattice Distortion and Nano-Copper Phase Precipitation in Metal Injection-Molded 17-4PH Stainless Steel
- 32 Downloads
By adding trace amounts of graphite to metal injection-molded 17-4PH stainless steel, the effects of carbon content on the lattice distortion, nano-copper phase precipitation, and mechanical properties were studied. As the carbon content increased, the distortion degree of martensite increased. Differential scanning calorimetry results showed that the martensitic phase-transformation starting temperature decreased as the carbon content increased. Moreover, the average size of nano-copper-rich precipitates gradually decreased with the carbon content. As a result, the tensile strength and hardness of the samples increased while the elongation correspondingly decreased. Aging promoted greater nano-copper precipitate sizes and slightly improved mechanical properties.
The authors acknowledge support from the National Natural Science Foundation of China (Grant No. 51804271), Hunan Provincial Natural Science Foundation (Grant No. 2018JJ3507) and the Guangxi Science and Technology Plan Project (Grant No. AD16380019).
- 4.C. Schade, P. Stears, A. Lawley, and R.D. Doherty, Int. J. Powder Metall. 51, 43 (2007).Google Scholar
- 5.Y.M. Li, B.Y. Huang, X.H. Qu, S.Q. Liang, and G.H. Qiu, Rare Metal. Mat. Eng. 25, 1 (1996).Google Scholar
- 8.J.A. Lewis, Mater. Res. 27, 147 (1997).Google Scholar
- 9.J.M. Torralba, Handbook of Metal Injection Molding (Philadelphia, PA: Woodhead Publishing Limited, 2012), p. 397.Google Scholar
- 13.X. Zhang, H. He, Y.M. Li, C. Liu, L.M. Man, and Y.H. Hu, Chin. J. Nonferrous Met. 25, 945 (2015).Google Scholar
- 17.J. Chipman, Mat. Sci. Eng. B 3, 55 (1972).Google Scholar
- 18.G.V.K. Jumov, Mat. Sci. Eng. A 7, 999 (1976).Google Scholar
- 19.C.S. Roberts, Trans. Am. Inst. Metall. Eng. 197, 203 (1953).Google Scholar
- 20.G.V. Kurdjumov and A.G. Khachaturyan, Scripta Metal. 23, 1077 (1975).Google Scholar
- 24.W. Steven and A.G. Haynes, J. Iron Steel Inst. 183, 349 (1956).Google Scholar
- 27.Y.C. Lo, M.E. thesis (National Central University, Tao Yuan 2014).Google Scholar