Comparison of Multiphase Flow in a Continuous Casting Tundish Using Two Types of Industrialized Ladle Shrouds
- 236 Downloads
Plant trials were carried out to compare multiphase flow using a conventional ladle shroud (CLS) and a trumpet-shaped ladle shroud (TLS) in a steelmaking tundish. Steel splashing, slag exposure, smoke and flame were recorded to investigate the fluid flow during both transient and steady casting. A large eddy simulation model was employed to visualize the flow structure and obtain detailed flow information. The results showed that the TLS outperformed the CLS in relieving steel splashing during ladle change due to the braking effect of the TLS on the jet. During steady casting, a relatively calm melt bath was achieved with less exposed steel using the TLS, which is attributed to the reduced turbulence in the tundish. An eccentric tundish open eye was observed using the CLS, which is related to the misaligned flow pattern when the slide gate is partially open.
The authors appreciate the cooperation of Wuhu Xinxing Ductile Iron Pipes Co., Ltd. for carrying out the trials. The authors are indebted to the funding of National Nature Science Foundation of China (Nos. 51671100, 51674023). Thanks for the valuable discussion with Mr. Wenhan Ying from Zhejiang Tieshi Refractory Material Co., Ltd. and his technical support.
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
- 1.Y. Sahai and T. Emi, Tundish Technology for Clean Steel Production (London: World Scientific, 2008), pp. 99–120.Google Scholar
- 6.S. Chatterjee, D. Li, K. Chattopadhyay, Steel Res. Int. 88 (2017) (in Press).Google Scholar
- 9.G.A. Demasi, R.F. Hartmann, 64th Steelmaking Conference Proceedings, 29 March–1 April, 1981, Toronto, Canada.Google Scholar
- 10.G. Wen, Y. Huang, P. Tang, and M. Zhu, J. Chongqing Univ. 34, 69 (2011).Google Scholar
- 11.B.G. Thomas, H. Bai, 84th Steelmaking Conference Proceedings, 25–28 March 2001, Maryland, USA.Google Scholar
- 12.B. Becker, N. Prabhu, 74th Steelmaking Conference Proceedings, 14–17 April, 1991, Washington, USA.Google Scholar
- 21.L. Brinkmeyer, S.D. Melville, 77th Steelmaking Conference Proceedings, 20–23 March, 1994, Chicago, USA.Google Scholar
- 23.D. Chatterjee, Am. J. Min. Metall. 4, 1 (2017).Google Scholar