Bidirectional optical amplifier for time transfer using bidirectional WDM transmission
- 14 Downloads
In this letter, we propose a bidirectional optical amplification scheme for fiber-optic time transfer based on bidirectional wavelength-division multiplexing (WDM) transmission. The proposed scheme employs single unidirectional erbiumdoped fiber amplifier (Uni-EDFA) for commercial optical networks to implement bidirectional optical amplification. Since including isolators, the effect of backscattering due to the accumulated amplification can be efficiently suppressed by the proposed amplifier. The proposed scheme is validated over different length fiber links in laboratory. Experimental results show that the proposed amplifier can support fiber-optic time transfer over several thousands of kilometers with an additional bidirectional delay difference fluctuation at picosecond magnitude.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- H. Zhang, G. Wu, L. Hu, X. Li and J. Chen, IEEE Photonics Journal 7, 1 (2015).Google Scholar
- K. Salwik, Ł. Śliwczyński and P. Krehlik, Proc. SPIE 10445, 104450F (2017).Google Scholar
- Q. Cheng, B. Zhang, L. Lu, J. Jing and C. Wu, Comparative Study of Two Methods of Extend Optical Fiber Time Transfer Distance, Symposium on Photonics and Optoelectronics, 1 (2012).Google Scholar
- J. Liang, C. Liu, R. Wu, F. Hu, Z. Wang, Y. Qiao and S. Yu, The Bidirectional Recirculating Loop System for 10000 km Fiber-Optic Time Transfer, 2018 Asia Communications and Photonics Conference (ACP), 1 (2018).Google Scholar
- G. Wu, L. Hu, H. Zhang and J. Chen, Review of Scientific Instruments 85, 1 (2014).Google Scholar
- H. Zhang, G. Wu, H. Li, X. Li and J. Chen, IEEE Photonics Journal 8, 1 (2017).Google Scholar
- I. BIPM, I. IFCC, I. IUPAC and O. ISO, Evaluation of measurement data—guide for the expression of uncertainty in measurement. JCGM 100: 2008, Citado en las, 167 (2008).Google Scholar