VCSEL polarization modulation for pulse-per-second clock signal transfer in optical frequency distribution systems
- 22 Downloads
In this paper, a novel vertical cavity surface emitting laser (VCSEL) polarization modulation technique based on polarization switching due to thermal heating in a single transverse mode class 10 G VCSEL at 1 310 nm is demonstrated experimentally. The inherent orthogonal polarization switching of the VCSEL carrier with changing bias is exploited in the transmission of pulse-per-second (PPS) timing clock signal. Experimental results show that PPS pulse widths of 9.97 μs and 9.98 μs are measured for back-to-back analysis and over 3.21 km of G 652 urban fibre transmission, respectively. This work provides a novel alternative for adoption in optical frequency and time transfer applications.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- S. Li, C. Wang, H. Lu and J. Zhao, IEEE Photonics Journal, 99 (2017).Google Scholar
- D. M. Kuchta, High Capacity VCSEL-based Links, Optical Fiber Communications Conference and Exhibition (OFC), 1 (2017).Google Scholar
- E. Haglund, A. Haglund, J. S. Gustavsson, B. Kogel, P. Westbergh and A. Larsson, Reducing the Spectral Width of High Speed Oxide Confined VCSELs Using an Integrated Mode Filter, in Vertical-Cavity Surface-Emitting Lasers Xvi, 2012.Google Scholar
- N. Quadir, P. Ossieur and P. D. Townsend, A 56Gb/s PAM-4 VCSEL Driver Circuit, IET Irish Signals and Systems Conference (ISSC 2012), 1 (2012).Google Scholar
- A. Quirce, P. Perez, A. Popp, A. Valle, L. Pesquera and Y. Hong, Semiconductor Lasers & Laser Dynamics VII, 98920Q (2016).Google Scholar
- U. Schmid, M. Horauer and N. Kero, How to Distribute GPS-time over COTS-based LANs, DTIC Document, 545 (1999).Google Scholar
- K. G. Baldwin, Y. He, M. Hsu, M. Wouters, M. Gray and B. J. Orr, Analog and All-digital Frequency Distribution via Optical Fiber Links, CLEO: Science and Innovations, CTh4A.2 (2012).Google Scholar
- G. M. Isoe, S. Wassin, R. R. G. Gamatham, A. W. R. Leitch and T. B. Gibbon, Simultaneous 10 Gbps Data and Polarization-based Pulse-per-second Clock Transmission Using a Single VCSEL for High-speed Optical Fibre Access Networks, Optical Metro Networks and Short-Haul Systems IX. International Society for Optics and Photonics, 101290F (2017).Google Scholar
- S. inc., FS725 Rubidium Frequency Standard Operation and Service Manual vol. Version 1.3. 1290-D Reamwood Avenue, Sunnyvale, California 94089: Stanford Research Systems, 2015.Google Scholar