Effects of h-BN content on properties of Ni-Cr/h-BN composite
Ni-Cr/h-BN self-lubricating composities were prepared by powder metallurgy (P/M) method. The effects of hexagonal boron nitride (h-BN) content on the mechanical and tribological properties of the Ni-Cr/h-BN composites were investigated. The corresponding frictional models were established to analyze the formation of the lubricant h-BN films on the surfaces of the Ni-Cr/h-BN composites. The results show that, when the content of h-BN increases from 5% to 15% (mass fraction), the bending strength of the Ni-Cr/h-BN composite decreases from 96.670 MPa to 17.319 MPa, and the hardness (HB) decreases from 33 to 14. The friction coefficient of the Ni-Cr/h-BN composite decreases firstly from 0.385 to 0.216, and then increases to 0.284, while the wear rate decreases firstly from 4.14×10−9 kg/(N·m) to 1.35×10−9 kg/(N·m), then increases to 2.36×10−9 kg/(N·m). The best comprehensive mechanical and tribological properties can be obtained between 10% and 12% h-BN addition.
Key wordsNi-Cr/h-BN composite hexagonal boron nitride solid lubricating film friction coefficient wear rate
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- BHATTACHARYA R S. Low friction and wear surface for application over a wide range of temperature [R]. Dayton: Universal Energy Systems INC Dayton OH, 1997.Google Scholar
- WANG Yan-jun, LIU Zuo-min. Tribological properties of high temperature self-lubrication metal ceramics with an interpenetrating network [J]. Wear, 2008, 265(11/12): 231–237.Google Scholar
- XIONG Dang-sheng. Lubrication behavior of Ni-Cr based alloys containing MoS2 at high temperature [J]. Wear, 2001, 251(1–12): 1094–1099.Google Scholar
- ERHAN B, CETIN B. The effect of transition metals on the structure of h-BN intercalation compounds [J]. Journal of Solid State Chemistry, 2004, 177(4/5): 1768–1770.Google Scholar
- LI Fan, ZhANG Deng-jun, LI Bao-hou, LUO Shi-min, ZHAO Xiao-feng. A new chemical plating system for hexagonal boron nitride particles [J]. The Chinese Journal of Process Engineering, 2002, 5(2): 425–430. (in Chinese)Google Scholar
- ZHANG Shi-tang, ZHOU Jian-song, GUO Bao-gang, ZHOU Hui-di, PU Yu-ping, CHEN Jian-min. Friction and wear behavior of laser cladding Ni/hBN self-lubricating composite coating [J]. Materials Science and Engineering, 2008, 491(1/2): 151–158.Google Scholar
- WEI Sheng-ming, WANG Ri-chu, LI Qing-yong, LI Wenxian. Effect of BN on sintering properties of Ni-based abradable seal alloy [J]. Rare Metal and Engineering, 2006, 35(1): 127–130. (in Chinese)Google Scholar
- MAUSNER H M. Handbook of powder metallurgy [M]. New York: Chem Publ Co, 1973: 482–490.Google Scholar
- WDEN F P, TABOR D. The friction and lubrication of solids (Part II) [M]. Oxford: Clarendon Press, 1964: 139–147.Google Scholar
- HE Jiang-ai, WANG Yu-wei. Wear and anti-wear of materials [M]. Shenyang: Northeastern University Press, 2002: 23–24. (in Chinese)Google Scholar