Seismic ultimate bearing capacity of strip footings on slope
- 154 Downloads
The influence of earthquake forces on ultimate bearing capacity of foundations on sloping ground was studied. A solution to seismic ultimate bearing capacity of strip footings on slope was obtained by utilizing pseudo-static analysis method and taking the effect of intermediate principal stress into consideration. Based on limit equilibrium theory, the formulae for computing static bearing capacity factors, Nq, Nc, Nγ, and dynamic bearing capacity factors, Nqd, Ncd, Nγd, which are associated with surcharge, cohesion and self-weight of soils respectively, were presented. A great number of analysis calculations were carried out to obtain the relationship curves of the static and dynamic bearing capacity factors versus various calculation parameters. The curves can serve as the practical engineering design. The calculation results also show that when the values of horizontal and vertical seismic coefficients are 0.2, the dynamic bearing capacity factors Nqd, Ncd and Nγd, in which the effects of intermediate principal stress are taken into consideration, increase by 4%–42%, 3%–27% and 34%–57%, respectively.
Key wordsslope foundation bearing capacity unified strength theory limit equilibrium earthquake effect
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- MEYERHOF G G. The bearing capacity of foundations under eccentric and inclined loads[C]// Proc 3rd Int Conf on Soil Mechanics and Foundation Eng Icosomes. Zurich, 1953, 1: 440–445.Google Scholar
- YU Xue-yong. Numerical simulation and theoretical analysis of bearing capacity on the slope ground[D]. Xi’an: School of Civil Engineering and Mechanics, Chang’an University, 2003. (in Chinese)Google Scholar
- YU Mao-hong. Unified strength theory for geomaterials and its applications[J]. Chinese Journal of Geotechnical Engineering, 1994, 16(2): 1–10. (in Chinese)Google Scholar
- YU Mao-hong, ZAN Yue-wen, FAN Wen. Advances in strength theory of rock in 20th century[J]. Chinese Journal of Rock Mechanics and Engineering, 2000, 19(5): 545–550. (in Chinese)Google Scholar
- FAN Wen, BAI Xiao-yu, YU Mao-hong. Formula of ultimate bearing capacity of shallow foundation based on unified strength theory[J]. Rock and Soil Mechanics, 2005, 26(10): 1617–1622. (in Chinese)Google Scholar
- ZHANG Yong-qiang, FAN Wen. Unified slip line solution of ulimate load of slope[J]. Chinese Journal of Rock Mechanics and Engineering, 2000, 19(S1): 994–996. (in Chinese)Google Scholar