Effect of nucleating agents on microstructure and mechanical properties of SiO2-Al2O3-ZrO2 glass-ceramics
- 62 Downloads
SiO2-Al2O3-ZrO2 glasses with different nucleating agents were crystallized under special processing schedule. The microstructure and mechanical properties of the glass-ceramics in SiO2-Al2O3-ZrO2 system were investigated by differential scanning calorimetry, scanning electron microscopy, X-ray diffraction and three-point bending method. The results show that ZrO2 is not an effective nucleating agent in SiO2-Al2O3-ZrO2 system, while TiO2 is effective for the separation of spinel, and P2O5 facilitates solubility of ZrO2 in glass and crystallization. The main crystalline phases of the glass-ceramics are spinel, anorthite and tetragonal zirconia. With the increase of ZrO2 content in the glass, glass-ceramics show higher bending strength (120 MPa) than others.
Key wordsglass-ceramics SiO2-Al2O3-ZrO2 system microstructure mechanical property
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Chen W M, Chen K, Deng Z D. Toughening effect of ZrO2 in glass-ceramics [J]. J Mater Sci Eng A, 1998, 16(3): 73–76. (in Chinese)Google Scholar
- Cheng K G, Wan J L, Liang K M. Fabircation of ZrO2 toughened glass-ceramics [J]. Chinese Ceramic Society, 1998, 26(3): 365–368. (in Chinese)Google Scholar
- Liu P, Chen X Q. Phase-separation and nucleation in K2O-MgO-Al2O3-SiO2 glass [J]. J Inorganic Materials, 1999, 14(2): 275–279. (in Chinese)Google Scholar
- Pierson, Joseph E, Stookey, et al. Strengthened glass articles and method for making [P]. US 4726981, 1988.Google Scholar
- Von C, Schweiger M, Höland W. The effect of P2O5 on the crystallization and microstructure of glass-ceramics in the SiO2-Li2O-K2O-ZnO-P2O5 system [J]. J Non-cryst Solids, 2000, 263–264: 388–394.Google Scholar
- McMillan P W. Glass Ceramics (2nd Ed) [M]. London: Academic Press, 1979. 127–129.Google Scholar
- Yu B, Liang K M, Gu S R. Studies on the crystallization dynamics of Ca-P-Si glass-ceramic[J]. Glass and Enamel, 2002, 30(1): 16–20. (in Chinese)Google Scholar