High temperature scaling of Ni-15Cu-5Al alloy in 1×105 Pa pure oxygen
- 22 Downloads
The oxidation of the ternary alloy Ni-15Cu-5Al in 1×105 Pa pure oxygen at 700 °C and 800 °C was studied. The results show that the behavior of the Ni-rich alloy is similar to that of the binary Ni-Al alloy with the same Al content in the form of an external NiO layer coupled to the internal oxidation of aluminium. The presence of 15% (mole fraction) Cu cannot modify substantially the values of relevant parameters affecting the transition from the internal to the external oxidation of aluminium. The presence of 5% Al reduces the oxidation rate of the corresponding Ni-Cu alloy during the whole oxidation stages, though 5% Al is still insufficient to form protective external alumina scales.
Key wordsNi-rich alloy high temperature oxidation ternary alloy
CLC numberTG 146.4
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Villars P, Prinec A, Okamoto H. Handbook of Ternary Alloy Phase Diagrams [M]. Materials Park, Ohio: ASM International, 1997.Google Scholar
- Massalski T B, Murry J L, Bennett L H, et al. Binary Alloys Phase Diagrams[M]. Materials Park, Ohio: ASM, 1986.Google Scholar
- Pettit F S. Oxidation mechanisms for nickel-aluminum alloys at temperatures between 900 °C and 1 300 °C [J]. Trans Met Soc AIME, 1967, 239: 1296–1305.Google Scholar
- Wood G C, Stott F H. High Temperature Corrosion [M]. Houston: NACE, 1983, 227.Google Scholar
- Wagner C. Types of reaction in the oxidation of alloys [J]. Z Electrochem, 1959, 63: 772–782. (in German)Google Scholar
- Kofstad P. High Temperature Corrosion[M]. New York: Elsevier Applied Science, 1988.Google Scholar
- Kirkaldy J, Young D J. Diffusion in the Condensed State[M]. London: The Institute of Metals, 1987.Google Scholar
- XIANG Jun-huai, NIU Yan, Wu Wei-tao. Oxidation of a ternary Cu-10Ni-5Al alloy in 1×105 Pa pure O2 at 700–800 °C [J]. Rare Metal Materials and Engineering, 2004, 33(10): 1104–1107. (in Chinese)Google Scholar