Water Cooperation Priorities in the Lancang-Mekong River Basin Based on Cooperative Events Since the Mekong River Commission Establishment
- 40 Downloads
The Lancang-Mekong River has attracted much attention from researchers, but the cooperation on water issues in this river basin has been limited, even after the establishment of the Mekong River Commission (MRC). Cooperation on water resources has been determined as one of the key priority areas in the Lancang-Mekong Cooperation Mechanism, but there are no details of targets. In order to establish the priorities of water cooperation under the mechanism, we adopted nine categories to classify the objectives of 87 water cooperation events based on the ‘Lancang-Mekong Water Cooperative Events Database’ from 1995 to 2015. Based on the occurrence of cooperative events, cooperative objectives, cooperative scales, and approaches to cooperation, we conducted statistical, correlation, and text analyses. Our analyses indicated the following results: under the impact of economic conditions inside and outside the river basin, full cooperation appeared more difficult than bilateral and multilateral cooperation. Each of the partners adopted different preferences for cooperation targets. Cooperation with more definite objectives was easier to establish than cooperation with broader and more complex objectives. The potential objectives for water cooperation were navigation, hydropower, joint management, data sharing, flood control and water use. Because hydropower development is controversial, and because water cooperation is avoided by most existing regional cooperation mechanisms due to its complexity, we suggest the following priority areas for water cooperation in the Lancang- Mekong River Basin. 1) Navigation and flood control/drought relief are attractive objectives for all the riparian countries across the whole watershed. 2) Data sharing should be a priority for cooperation in the watershed due to its laying the foundation for the equitable and reasonable utilization of transboundary waters. 3) Hydropower is an objective best implemented mainly through bilateral cooperation, and on tributaries.
Keywordswater cooperation objective cooperative scale the Lancang-Mekong River riparian country Mekong River Commission
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- ASEAN Economic Community, 1996. Basic framework of Asean- Mekong basin development cooperation. Available at http://www.asean.org/wp-content/uploads/images/2013/economic/mbdc/basic%20framework%20of%20ambdc.pdf. 2018-03-27.
- ASEAN Secretariat, 2002. ASEAN-China free trade area. Available at http://investasean.asean.org/index.php/page/view/free-trade-areas/view/734/newsid/776/aseanchina-free-trade-area.html. 2018-04-25.
- ASEAN Secretariat, 2017. Overview of ASEAN plus three cooperation. Available at http://asean.org/storage/2017/06/Overviewof-APT-Cooperation-Jun-2017.pdf. 2018-03-27.
- Baran E, Ratner B, 2007. The don Sahong dam and Mekong fisheries. World Fish Center. Available at https://www.researchgate.net/publication/227642372_The_Don_Sahong_dam_and_Mekong_fisheries. 2017-06-20.Google Scholar
- Biba S, 2016. China drives water cooperation with Mekong countries. Eco-Business. Available at http://www.eco-business.com/news/china-drives-water-cooperation-with-mekong-countries/.2017-08-28.Google Scholar
- Bruce G, 2013. Hydropower development in the Mekong basin: perspective of a Canadian private environmental consulting company. Available at http://www.hydronet.umontreal.ca/symposium2013/HydroNet_Symposium_2013_Bruce_G.pdf. 2017-08-30Google Scholar
- Cambodia-Laos-Vietnam Development Triangle Portal, 2016. Introduction of the Cambodia-Laos-Vietnam development triangle area. Available at http://clv-development.org/en/Pages/Introduction_of_Development_Triangle.aspx. 2018-03-27.
- Feng Yan, He Daming, Bao Haosheng, 2000. Study on the equitable and suitable allocation model of water resources in the Lancang-Mekong River Basin. Journal of Natural Resources, 15(3): 241–245. (in Chinese)Google Scholar
- Global Water Partnership, 2012. The Handbook for Integrated Water Resources Management in Transboundary Basins of Rivers, Lakes and Aquifers. Elanders: GWP, INBO.Google Scholar
- Government of India, 2017. About Mekong-ganga cooperation (MGC). Available at http://www.mea.gov.in/aseanindiaabout-mgc.htm.2018-04-25.
- Greater Mekong Subregion Secretariat, 2018. About the greater Mekong Subregion: overview. greater Mekong Subregion. Available at https://www.greatermekong.org/about. 2018-04-24
- Guen-Murray J, Haque M, Lichtefeld J, 2017. The future shape of Mekong cooperation: a closer look at the paths ahead for the Mekong river commission. Available at https://thediplomat.com/2017/09/the-future-shape-of-mekong-cooperation/. 2018-03-28.Google Scholar
- Halls A S, Kshatriya M, 2009. Modelling the Cumulative Barrier and Passage Effects of Mainstream Hydropower Dams on Migratory Fish Populations in the Lower Mekong Basin. MRC Technical Paper No. 25, Vientiane: Mekong River Commission.Google Scholar
- Hoanh C T, Jirayoot K, Lacombe G et al., 2010. Impacts of climate change and development on Mekong flow regimes: first assessment-2009. Mekong River Commission. Available at http://www.mrcmekong.org/assets/Publications/technical/tech-No29-impact-of-climate-change.pdf. 2017-07-25.Google Scholar
- ICEM, 2010. MRC Strategic Environmental Assessment (SEA) of Hydropower on the Mekong Mainstream. Hanoi: Mekong River Commission.Google Scholar
- Ioannides M J, Tilt B, 2017. China: lessons learned from the Manwan dam. Case study series on dam displacement. Geneva, Switzerland: Internal Displacement Monitoring Center. Available at http://www.internal-displacement.org/assets/publications/2017/20170411-idmc-china-dam-case-study.pdf. 2018-03-27.Google Scholar
- Lower Mekong Initiative, 2017. The Lower Mekong Initiative (LMI). Available at https://www.lowermekong.org/about/lower-mekong-initiative-lmi. 2018-04-25.
- Lü Yusheng, Shen Dehai, 2014–2015. China-ASEAN Yearbook 2014–2015. Beijing: Thread-Binding Books Publishing House. (in Chinese)Google Scholar
- Mekong River Commission (MRC), 2017. About MRC. http://www.mrcmekong.org/about-mrc/.2017-10-19.
- Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Japan, 2009. Tokyo declaration of the first meeting between the heads of the governments of Japan and the Mekong region countries. Available at http://www.mofa.go.jp/region/asia-paci/mekong/summit0911/declaration.html. 2018-04-25.Google Scholar
- Ministry of Foreign Affairs, the People’s Republic of China, 2016. The 2nd Lancang-Mekong Cooperation Foreign Ministers’ Meeting Convenes. Available at http://www.fmprc.gov.cn/mfa_eng/zxxx_662805/t1427021.shtml. 2018-04-25.
- Ministry of Foreign Affairs, the People’s Republic of China, 2018. Li Keqiang Attends the 2nd LMC Leaders’ Meeting. Available at http://www.fmprc.gov.cn/mfa_eng/zxxx_662805/t1525244.shtml. 2018-01-15.
- MRC, 2008. Flood Situation Report. MRC Technical Paper No. 21, Vientiane: Mekong River Commission. MRC, 2010.Google Scholar
- State of the Basin Report 2010. Vientiane: Mekong River Commission.Google Scholar
- Roberts T R, 2004. Fluvicide: an independent environmental assessment of Nam Theun 2 hydropower project in Laos, with particular reference to aquatic biology and fishes. Available at https://www.internationalrivers.org/sites/default/files/attachedfiles/tysonfluvicide0904.pdf. 2017-06-30.Google Scholar
- Son J, 2017. Mekong cooperation, China-style. Reporting ASEAN. Available at https://www.aseannews.net/mekongcooperation-china-style/. 2017-10-02.Google Scholar
- Thailand International Cooperation Agency, 2013. Ayeyawady- Chao Phraya-Mekong economic cooperation strategy (ACMECS). Available at http://tica.thaigov.net/main/en/aid/40616-Ayeyawady- Chao-Phraya-Mekong-Economic-Cooperation.html. 2018-04-25Google Scholar
- The Hague Institute for Global Justice, 2016. The Multi-Track Water Diplomacy Framework. Hague: The Hague Institute for Global Justice.Google Scholar
- Thorne C, Annandale G, Jensen J et al., 2011. Review of Sediment Transport, Morphology, and Nutrient Balance. Report to the Mekong River Commission Secretariat Prepared as Part of the Xayaburi Mrcs Prior Consultation Project Review Report. Nottingham, UK: Nottingham University.Google Scholar
- UNEP, 2016. Transboundary River Basins: Status and Trends. Nairobi: United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP).Google Scholar
- United Nations Economic Commission for Europe, 2014. Integrated Water Resources Management in Eastern Europe, the Caucasus and Central Asia. New York and Geneva: United Nations.Google Scholar
- UN-Water, 2015. Good practices in transboundary water cooperation. Available at http://www.unece.org/. 2018-03-26.Google Scholar
- Wang Q Y, 2015. Six countries agree on Mekong cooperation system. China Daily. Available at http://www.chinadaily.com. cn/. 2017-07-30.Google Scholar
- Xinhua, 2015. Joint declaration issued to enhance Mekong river security. Available at http://www.china.org.cn/world/2015-10/ 25/content_36884092.htm. 2017-07-30.Google Scholar
- Yorth B, 2014. International Mekong River Basin: Events, Conflicts or Cooperation, and Policy Implications. Oregon: Oregon State University.Google Scholar
- Yu X Z, 2015. Water resources collaboration: potential flagship in Lancang-Mekong cooperation mechanism. Available at https://wle-mekong.cgiar.org/water-resources-collaboration-potentialflagship-in-lancang-mekong-cooperation-mechanism/. 2017-07- 30.Google Scholar