Rate control for HEVC intra-coding with a CTU-dependent distortion model
- 62 Downloads
Rate control is used to regulate the coded bits for valid video storage or transmissions. For the novel high-efficiency video coding (HEVC) encoder, a new the R–λ-based rate control model is incorporated to further make a trade-off between video quality and bandwidth utilization. However, the intra-coding distortion, which is drifted from the coding tree units (CTUs) to subsequent CTUs and thus affects the performance of rate control, is not fully considered in R–λ model. To address this issue, an intra-CTU rate control scheme is developed in this paper for further improving the visual quality. First the 35 intra-modes are segmented into 5 categories, and then the distortion drift of each category is studied in terms of intra-prediction principle. Afterwards the SAD-based distortion formulation is derived and utilized into R–λ model. Finally, the modified R–λ model is added in HEVC rate control for quantization calculation. The experimental results show that the proposed method significantly increases the encoding performance while well accepting computational complexity.
KeywordsRate control Distortion drift SATD HEVC
This work was supported by Project funded by China Postdoctoral Science Foundation (2017M610644) and the National Science Foundation of China (61671376, 61671374).
- 8.Choi, H., Nam, J., Yoo, J.: Rate control based on unified RQ model for HEVC. JCT-VC of ITU-T SG16 WP3 and ISO/IEC JTC1/SC29/WG11, Document JCT-VC H0213, San Jose, CA (2012)Google Scholar
- 10.Liang, X., Wang, Q., Zhou, Y., et al.: A novel R-Q model based rate control scheme in HEVC. IEEE International Conference on Visual Communications and Image Processing, 1–6 (2013)Google Scholar
- 11.Li, B., Li, H., Li, L.: Rate control by R-lambda model for HEVC. In: JCT-VC K0103 (2012)Google Scholar
- 16.Karczewicz, M.: Intra frame rate control based on SATD. JCT-VC M0257 (2013)Google Scholar
- 21.Bossen, F.: Common test conditions and software reference configurations. Document JCTVC-L1100, JCTVC of ITU-T SG16 WP3 and ISO/IEC JTC1/SC29/WG11, Jan 2013. https://hevc.hhi.fraunhofer.de/svn/svn_HEVCSoftware/tags/HM-16.0/cfg/