Waveform diversity for mutual interference mitigation in automotive radars under realistic traffic environments
- 150 Downloads
This paper presents a novel approach for mutual interference mitigation in automotive radars based on advanced waveform design by imposing time and frequency diversity to frequency modulated continuous wave (FMCW) chirp signal. Performance of the proposed waveform has been investigated using software-defined radio transceiver, and measurement results are provided. The system concept is validated by developed automotive radar channel model considering realistic 3D road traffic scenario using a ray-tracing tool. Theoretical analysis and simulation examples of mutual interference scenarios in automotive environment are provided to evaluate the effectiveness of the proposed method. Performance of both conventional FMCW waveform and proposed waveform under mutual interference environments has been provided for fair comparison. Results show that the proposed system is able to detect the targets of interest successfully while mitigates the false targets in mutual interference environments.
KeywordsAutomotive radar Mutual interference Waveform diversity Frequency modulated continuous waveform (FMCW)
This research is funded by the Deanship of Scientific Research and Research Center at the College of Engineering, King Saud University, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia.
- 3.Watzenig, D., Horn, M.: Automated Driving: Safer and More Efficient Future Driving. Springer, Berlin (2016)Google Scholar
- 5.Kedzia, J.-C., Strand, B., Abenius, E.: Simulation of automotive radar sensors extended to 77 GHz long range detection. In: 2014 German Microwave Conference (GeMIC), pp. 1–2 (2014)Google Scholar
- 6.Fan, Y., Yang, Z., Bu, X., An, J.: Radar waveform design and multi-target detection in vehicular applications. In: 2015 International Conference on Estimation, Detection and Information Fusion (ICEDIF), pp. 286–289 (2015)Google Scholar
- 8.Kim, Y.: Identification of FMCW radar in mutual interference environments using frequency ramp modulation. In: 2016 10th European Conference on Antennas and Propagation (EuCAP), pp. 1–3 (2016)Google Scholar
- 9.Remcom: Wireless InSite (2014). http://www.remcom.com/wireless-insite. Accessed 15 Feb 2014
- 12.NI: National Instruments LabVIEW (2017). http://www.ni.com/en-lb/shop/labview.html. Accessed 10 Jan 2017
- 13.Kim, S., Paek, I., Ka, M.: Simulation and test results of triangular fast ramp FMCW waveform. In: 2013 IEEE Radar Conference (RADAR), pp. 1–4 (2013)Google Scholar