Left superior pulmonary vein stump thrombosis and right renal infarction after left upper lobectomy: case report and literature review
- 17 Downloads
Left upper lobectomy (LUL) has been considered to have a higher risk of thrombus formation in the pulmonary vein stump (PVS) than other lobectomies. A case of thrombus formation in the PVS and right renal infarction detected by contrast-enhanced computed tomography (CECT) 12 days after LUL is presented. The thrombus in the PVS was considered to be related to the renal infarction because of the lack of other potential explanations. After intravenous heparin treatment for 1 week and continuous oral anticoagulation, the thrombus in the PVS became smaller 3 months after the operation, and it basically disappeared after 1 year. Scar formation was detected in the area of renal infarction 3 months after the operation, and no specific change was detected from then on. One should consider performing postoperative chest and abdominal CECT routinely within 1 week after LUL, and, if thrombosis is found, antithrombotic therapy might then be given.
KeywordsLeft upper lobectomy Pulmonary vein stump thrombus Renal infarction
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
Cheng-Yang Song, Daisuke Kimura, Fumie Sato, Takehiro Sakai, Takao Tsushima, Ikuo Fukuda have no conflicts of interest.
- 5.Seki M, Endo M, Kidani M, Kobayashi H, Sato H, Noto T. A rare case of left atrial thrombus after left upper pulmonary lobectomy. Jpn J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 1989;37(7):89–103 (Japanese) Google Scholar
- 6.Oura H, Hirose M, Aikawa H, Ishiki M. Abdominal organ infarction encountered immediately after surgery of primary lung cancer. Jpn J Thorac Surg. 2005;58:137–42 (Japanese) Google Scholar
- 8.Sawada T, Watanabe Y, Ohura H, Handa M. Abdominal organ infarction encountered after surgery for primary lung cancer. J Jpn Assoc Chest Surg. 2009;49:49–52 (Japanese) Google Scholar
- 10.Tamaki M, Miura K, Norimura S, Kenzaki K, Yosizawa K. Renal infarction and acute arterial obstruction of the lower extremity encountered after surgery for primary lung cancer. Jpn J Thorac Surg. 2013;66:138–41 (Japanese) Google Scholar
- 13.Koga T Mori T, Shibata H, Ikeda K, Shiraishi K, Suzuki M. Two cases of organ infarction due to thrombus in pulmonary vein stump after left lung lobectomy. J Jpn Assoc Chest Surg. 2016;30(5):97–103 (Japanese) Google Scholar