Personalized mobile marketing strategies
The prevalence of mobile usage data has provided unprecedented insights into customer hyper-context information and brings ample opportunities for practitioners to design more pertinent marketing strategies and timely targeted campaigns. Granular unstructured mobile data also stimulate new research frontiers. This paper integrates the traditional marketing mix model to develop a framework of personalized mobile marketing strategies. The framework incorporates personalization into the center of mobile product, mobile place, mobile price, mobile promotion, and mobile prediction. Extant studies in mobile marketing are reviewed under the proposed framework, and promising topics about personalized mobile marketing are discussed for future research.
KeywordsMobile marketing Mobile personalization Mobile marketing mix Artificial intelligence
- Adweek. (2018). Why Mobile and Consumers Are the Focal Points of This Year’s NewFronts. Retrieved July 2, 2018, from adweek.com website: https://www.adweek.com/digital/why-mobile-and-consumers-are-the-focal-points-of-this-years-newfronts/.
- Bluecorona. (2018). 61 Mobile Marketing Statistics for 2018 and Beyond | Mobile Usage Statistics. Retrieved July 2, 2018, from bluecororna.com website: https://www.bluecorona.com/blog/mobile-marketing-statistics.
- Businessofapps. (2018). App Download and Usage Statistics - Business of Apps. Retrieved July 2, 2018, from businessofapps.com website: http://www.businessofapps.com/data/app-statistics/.
- BusinessWire. (2019). Global Mobile Marketing Market to Reach $183.5 Billion by 2024, with a CAGR of 23.4% - Analysis Segmented by Solution Type, Organization Size, End-user and Geography. Retrieved May 3, 2019, from businesswire.com website: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20190325005436/en/Global-Mobile-Marketing-Market-Reach-183.5-Billion.
- Castelo, N., & Thalmann, N. (2019). Robot or human? Consumer Perceptions of Human-Like Robots. Working Paper.Google Scholar
- Danaher, P. J., Smith, M. S., Ranasinghe, K. & Danaher, T. S. (2015). Where, when and how long: Factors that influence the redemption of mobile phone coupons. Journal of Marketing Research, 52, 710–725.Google Scholar
- Dickinger, A., & Kleijnen, M. (2008). Coupons going wireless: Determinants of consumer intentions to redeem mobile coupon. Journal of Interactive Marketing, 22(3), 23–39.Google Scholar
- Digital Trends. (2018). Streaming TV consumption more than doubles in 12 months. Retrieved May 3, 2019, from digitaltrends.com website: https://www.digitaltrends.com/home-theater/streaming-tv-consumption-doubles/.
- Digitalnewsdaily. (2018). Nielsen Catalina Solutions To Launch Tool To Measure In-Store Sales Based On Video Ads. Retrieved June 27, 2018, from mediapost.com website: https://www.mediapost.com/publications/article/321104/nielsen-catalina-solutions-to-launch-tool-to-measu.html.
- eMarketer. (2019). What’s Behind the Sudden Growth of TikTok? Retrieved May 3, 2019, from emarketer.com website: https://www.emarketer.com/content/what-s-behind-the-sudden-growth-of-tiktok.
- Fast Company. (2018). Why Nike ditched a proven winning strategy for the 2018 world cup. Retrieved May 6, 2019, from fastcompany.com website: https://www.fastcompany.com/90179193/why-nike-ditched-a-proven-winning-strategy-for-the-2018-world-cup.
- Ghose, A., Li, B., & Liu, S. (2019b). Mobile targeting using customer trajectory patterns. Management Science, Articles in Advance.Google Scholar
- Grewal, L., & Stephen, A. T. (2019). In Mobile we trust: The effects of Mobile versus nonmobile reviews on consumer purchase intentions. Journal of Marketing Research, 002224371983451.Google Scholar
- Harvard Business Review. (2017). Your Mobile Strategy Can’t Just Be About Phones. Retrieved May 4, 2019, from hbr.org website: https://hbr.org/2017/07/your-mobile-strategy-cant-just-be-about-phones.
- Hubspot. (2018). 12 Examples of Brands With Brilliant Omni-Channel Experiences. Retrieved May 4, 2019, from hubspot.com website: https://blog.hubspot.com/service/omni-channel-experience.
- Investopedia. (2018). Mobile Advertising Definition. Retrieved June 22, 2018, from Investopedia website: https://www.investopedia.com/terms/m/mobile-advertising.asp.
- Kannan, P. K., & Li, H. “. A.”. (2017). Digital marketing: A framework, review and research agenda. International Journal of Research in Marketing, 34(1), 22–45.Google Scholar
- Kumar, V., Nim, N., & Sharma, A. (2018). Driving growth of Mwallets in emerging markets: A Retailer’s perspective. Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science, pp. 1–23.Google Scholar
- McCarthy, E. (1960). Basic marketing, a managerial approach. Retrieved from http://www.worldcat.org/title/basic-marketing-a-managerial-approach/oclc/242332.
- Mobile Marketer. (2019). Spider-man swings by world landmarks in Snapchat’s AR lenses | Mobile Marketer. Retrieved July 2, 2019, from mobilemarketer.com website: https://www.mobilemarketer.com/news/spider-man-swings-by-world-landmarks-in-snapchats-ar-lenses/557946/.
- Quartz. (2018). Nigeria’s World Cup kit has sold out - Nike. Retrieved May 6, 2019, from qz.com website: https://qz.com/africa/1294652/nigerias-world-cup-kit-has-sold-out-nike/.
- Ransbotham, S., Lurie, N. H., & Liu, H. (2019). Creation and consumption of Mobile word of mouth: How are Mobile reviews different? Marketing Science.Google Scholar
- Retaildive. (2018). Zara to Offer Mobile AR Experience in Stores. Retrieved June 27, 2018, from retaildive.com website: https://www.retaildive.com/news/zara-to-offer-mobile-ar-experience-in-stores/519286/.
- Statista. (2018). Chart: Mobile E-commerce is up and Poised for Further Growth. Retrieved July 1, 2018, from statista.com website: https://www.statista.com/chart/13139/estimated-worldwide-mobile-e-commerce-sales/.
- Statista. (2019). Number of Mobile Phone Users Worldwide 2015–2020. Retrieved May 3, 2019, from statista.com website: https://www.statista.com/statistics/274774/forecast-of-mobile-phone-users-worldwide/.
- The Verge. (2019). Netflix tests a Mobile-only plan in select countries that costs $4. Retrieved May 4, 2019, from theverge.com website: https://www.theverge.com/2019/3/22/18277547/netflix-mobile-only-plan-countries-price.
- Themanifest. (2018). Mobile App Usage Statistics 2018. Retrieved July 2, 2018, from themanifest.com website: https://themanifest.com/app-development/mobile-app-usage-statistics-2018.
- Wang, F., Zuo, L., Yang, Z., & Wu, Y. (2019). Mobile searching versus online searching: Differential effects of paid search keywords on direct and indirect sales. Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science.Google Scholar
- Zinrelo. (2018). Tiered Loyalty Programs- What Makes the Sephora’s Loyalty Rewards Program Successful? Retrieved May 4, 2019, from zinrelo.com website: https://zinrelo.com/tiered-loyalty-programs-what-makes-the-sephoras-loyalty-rewards-program-successful.html.