A comparison of some modified confidence intervals based on robust scale estimators for process capability index
- 11 Downloads
This paper aims to compare the performances of modified confidence intervals based on robust scale estimators with classical confidence interval for process capability index (Cp) when the process has a non-normal distribution. The estimated coverage probability and the average width of the confidence intervals were obtained by a Monte-Carlo simulation under different scenarios. Simulation results showed that the modified confidence intervals performed well in terms of coverage probability and average width for all cases. Two real-life numerical examples from industry are analyzed to illustrate the performance and the implementation of the classical and modified confidence intervals for the process capability index (Cp) which also supported the results of the simulation study to some extent.
KeywordsConfidence interval Coverage probability Average width Process capability index Quality engineering Statistical process control
Authors are grateful to two anonymous referees and editor in chief for their invaluable constructive comments and suggestions, which certainly improved the quality and presentation of the paper greatly.
- 4.Akyüz HE, Gamgam H, Yalçınkaya A (2017) Interval estimation for the difference of two independent nonnormal population variances. Gazi University J Sci 30(3):117–129Google Scholar
- 16.Gini, C. (1912). Variabilitia e Mutabilitia, Contribututoallo Studiodelle distribuzioni e dellerelazoine Statistiche. Studion Economicoiuredice dell’Universitiadie Cagliari 3(Part 2) i–iii: 3–159Google Scholar
- 20.Juran JM (1974) Jurans quality control handbook, 3rd edn. McGraw-Hill, New YorkGoogle Scholar
- 22.Khalilloo B, Shahriari H, Roghanian E (2017) Robust estimation of process capability. In: 13th International conference on Industrial Engineering, Mazandaran University of Science and Technology. pp 22–23Google Scholar
- 23.Kotz S, Lovelace C (1998) Process capability indices in theory and practice. Arnold, LondonGoogle Scholar
- 25.Maiti, Saha (2012) On generalized quality capability index. In: Special 8th triennial symposium proceedings, vol 65, pp 257–260Google Scholar
- 26.Nanthakumar and Vijayalakshmi (2015) Construction of inter quartile range (iqr) control chart using process capability for mean using range. Int J Sci Eng Technol Res (IJSETR) 5(1):114–118Google Scholar
- 30.Senvar O, Sennaroglu B (2016) Comparing performances of clements, box- cox, johnson methods with weibull distributions for assessing process capability. J Ind Eng Manage 9(3):634–642Google Scholar
- 33.Wooluru Y, Swamy DR, Nagesh P (2014) The process capability analysis tool for process performance measures and metrics-a case study. Int J Qual Res 8(3):399–416Google Scholar
- 34.Wooluru Y, Swamy DR, Nagesh P (2015) Process capability estimation for non-normal distributed data using robust methods-A comparative study. Int J Qual Res 10(2):407–420Google Scholar
- 36.Zhang J (2010) Conditional confidence intervals of process capability indices following rejection of preliminary tests. PhD Thesis, The University of Texas, ArlingtonGoogle Scholar