Clinical study on mild moxibustion for knee osteoarthritis
- 13 Downloads
To observe the clinical effect of mild moxibustion for knee osteoarthritis (KOA) and to explore the role of mild moxibustion in relieving pain, reducing stiffness and improving joint dysfunction in patients with KOA.
Eighty patients with KOA were randomly allocated into either a moxibustion group or a medication group by the random number table, with 40 cases in each group. The moxibustion group used mild moxibustion at Neixiyan (EX-LE 5), Dubi (ST 35), Xuehai (SP 10) and Liangqiu (ST 34), 30 min each time, 3 times a week; the medication group was given celecoxib capsule (celebrex), 0.2 g each time, once a day. Both groups were treated for 4 weeks. The visual analog scale (VAS) and Western Ontario and McMaster Universities osteoarthritis index (WOMAC) scores were evaluated before and after treatment. The efficacy of the two groups was compared after treatment.
After treatment, the overall efficacy of the moxibustion group was significantly different from that of the medication group (P<0.05). The VAS and WOMAC scores of the two groups were lower than those before treatment (both P<0.01). The changes in the VAS and WOMAC scores after treatment in the moxibustion group were significantly different from those in the medication group (both P<0.05). After treatment, in single item of WOMAC, the changes in pain and joint dysfunction in the moxibustion group were more statistically significant than those in the medication group (both P<0.05).
Mild moxibustion and oral celebrex can reduce the VAS and WOMAC scores of patients with KOA. Mild moxibustion is superior to oral celebrex in relieving pain and improving joint function.
KeywordsMoxibustion Therapy Moxa Stick Moxibustion Osteoarthritis, Knee Pain Measurement Visual Analog Scale Quality of Life
观察温和灸治疗膝骨关节炎(KOA)的临床疗效, 探讨温和灸在减轻KOA患者疼痛、僵硬及改善关节 功能障碍方面的作用。
将80例KOA患者采用随机数字表法分为艾灸组和药物组, 每组40例。艾灸组采用艾 条温和灸内膝眼、犊鼻、血海和梁丘, 每次30 min, 每周3次; 药物组口服塞来昔布胶囊(西乐葆), 每次0.2 g, 每日 1次。两组均治疗4周。治疗前后进行视觉模拟量表(VAS)和西安大略与麦克马斯特大学骨关节炎指数(WOMAC)评 分。治疗后比较两组疗效。
治疗后, 艾灸组整体疗效与药物组差异有统计学意义(P<0.05); 两组VAS及 WOMAC评分均较治疗前下降(均P<0.01), 艾灸组VAS、WOMAC治疗前后评分差值与药物组有统计学差异 (均P<0.05)。治疗后, 在WOMAC单项评分方面, 艾灸组疼痛及关节功能障碍治疗前后评分差值与药物组比较有统 计学差异(均P<0.05)。
温和灸及口服西乐葆均能降低KOA患者的VAS及WOMAC评分, 温和灸在减轻疼痛、 改善关节功能方面优于口服西乐葆。
关键词灸法 艾条灸 骨关节炎, 膝 疼痛测评 视觉模拟量表 生活质量
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
This work was supported by Service Capacity Construction Project of Appropriate Technology of Traditional Chinese Medicine in the Community of Shanghai (上海市基层中医药适宜技术服务能力建设 项目, No. LH02.045).
- Han J, Wang PM. Advances in research on external treatment of knee osteoarthritis. Shandong Zhongyi Zazhi, 2014, 33(1): 69–72.Google Scholar
- Yang S, Xu F, Qin LN. A literature review of acupuncture and moxibustion for treatment of knee osteoarthritis in recent 5 years. Shijie Zhongxiyi Jiehe Zazhi, 2016, 11(2): 278–284.Google Scholar
- Chinese Orthopaedic Association. Osteoarthritis diagnosis and treatment guide (2007 version). Zhonghua Jiaoxing Waike Zazhi, 2014, 22(3): 287–288.Google Scholar
- Lequesna M. Indices of severity and disease activity for osteoarthritis. Semin Arthritis Rheum, 1991, 20(Suppl 2): 48–54.Google Scholar
- Liang FR, Shen XX. Science of Acupuncture and Moxibustion. 2nd Edition. Shanghai: Shanghai Scientific & Technical Publishers, 2012: 54–121.Google Scholar
- He CJ, Shen H, Zhang C, He X, Wang YJ. Curative observation of periacetabular muscle regulation combined with local acupuncture of knee joint for treating degenerative arthritis of knee joint. Sichuan Zhongyi, 2017, 35(2): 185–188.Google Scholar
- Bellamy N, Buchanan WW, Goldsmith CH, Campbell J, Stitt LW. Validation study of WOMAC: a health status instrument for measuring clinically important patient relevant outcomes to antirheumatic drug therapy in patients with osteoarthritis of the hip or knee. J Rheumatol, 1988, 15(12): 1833–1840.PubMedGoogle Scholar
- Ministry of Health of the People’s Republic of China. Guiding Principles for Clinical Study of New Chinese Medicines. Beijing: China Medical Science Press, 2002: 349–351.Google Scholar
- Lu YH, Shi XB. Current status and progress of epidemiological research on knee osteoarthritis. Zhongguo Zhongyi Gushangke Zazhi, 2012, 20(6): 81–84.Google Scholar
- Zhou Y, Wang JC. Clinical observation of artificial knee joint replacement therapy in severe knee joint disease. Zhongguo Yixue Qianyan Zazhi (Dianzi Ban), 2014, 6(5): 88–90.Google Scholar
- Ren XM, Cao JJ, Shen XY, Wang LZ, Zhao L, Wu F, Zhang HM. Knee osteoarthritis treated with moxibustion: a randomized controlled trial. Zhongguo Zhenjiu, 2011, 31(12): 1057–1061.Google Scholar
- Song YC, Liu DC, Zhu JC. Clinical research of treating knee osteoarthritis by San Qi (Radix Notoginseng) cakepartitioned moxibustion. Zhenjiu Linchuang Zazhi, 2013, 29(9): 40–42.Google Scholar
- Yuan XL. Moxa–cone moxibustion therapy in the treatment of knee osteoarthritis. Zhenjiu Linchuang Zazhi, 2011, 27(5): 41–42.Google Scholar
- Yuan QD, Guo X, Han YC, Zhang JQ, Feng XD. Observations on the therapeutic effect of heat–sensitive point thunder–fire moxibustion on knee osteoarthritis. Shanghai Zhenjiu Zazhi, 2015, 34(7): 665–668.Google Scholar
- Deng JM, Chen Y, Wang SX. Comparative study of efficacies of warm needling versus salt moxibustion in treating knee osteoarthritis. Shanghai Zhenjiu Zazhi, 2015, 34(3): 243–245.Google Scholar
- Li XB, Li ZX, Wang LX. The effect of indirect gentle moxibustion on serum IL–1 and TNF–a contents in patients with knee osteoarthritis. Shanghai Zhenjiu Zazhi, 2016, 35(12): 1459–1461.Google Scholar
- Hu XY, Li J, Li S, Hou WG, Wu HG. Cost–effectiveness analysis of the treatment of knee osteoarthritis with moxibustion. Shanghai Zhenjiu Zazhi, 2017, 36(9): 1025–1028.Google Scholar
- Hong WX, Cai JH, Jing J. A research on heat radiation spectrum characteristics of moxibustion therapy. Yingyong Guangxue, 2004, 25(4): 1–3.Google Scholar
- Lin RZ, Xu JF, Zhu N, Niu ZZ, Xi CL. The effect of moxibustion in Huiyi on articular chondrocyte apoptosis of osteoarthritis arabbits. Gansu Zhongyi Xueyuan Xuebao, 2014, 31(1): 1–3.Google Scholar
- Fu JQ. Preliminary Study on Acupuncture and Moxibustion Acupoints of Knee Osteoarthritis. Beijing: Master Thesis of Beijing University of Chinese Medicine, 2012.Google Scholar