Seepage failure by heave in sheeted excavation pits constructed in stratified cohesionless soils
- 18 Downloads
In this study, experimental and numerical investigations are performed to clarify the seepage failure by heave in sheeted excavation pits in stratified cohesionless soils in which a relatively permeable soil layer (kupper) lies above a less permeable soil layer (klower) between excavation base and wall tip. It is shown that the evaluation of base stabilities of excavation pits against seepage failure by using Terzaghi and Peck’s approach leads to considerably lower critical potential differences than those obtained from the model tests. On the other hand, a relatively good agreement is achieved between the results of the model tests and the finite element (FE) analyses. Further investigations are performed by using axisymmetric excavation models with various dimensions and ground conditions, and a comparison between the results obtained from Terzaghi and Peck’s approach and finite element analyses is given.
Keywordsseepage failure by heave cohesionless stratified soil model test Terzaghi and Peck’s approach FE analysis
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Harza L F. Uplift and seepage under dams on sand. Transactions of the American Society of Civil Engineers, 1935, 100: 1352–1385Google Scholar
- 2.Terzaghi K, Peck R B. Soil Mechanics in Engineering Practice. New York: John Wiley & Sons., 1948Google Scholar
- 4.Davidenkoff R N. Seepage under water-retaining structures. Düsseldorf: Werner Verlag, 1970 (in German)Google Scholar
- 10.Cai F, Ugai K, Takahashi C, Nakamura H, Okaki I. Seepage analysis of two case histories of piping induced by excavations in cohesionless soils. In: The First International Conference on Construction IT. Beijing: ICCI, 2004Google Scholar
- 24.Zhuang X, Huang R, Liang C, Rabczuk T. A coupled thermo-hydromechanical model of jointed hard rock for compressed air energy storage. Mathematical Problems in Engineering, 2014, 2014: 1–11Google Scholar
- 34.Okajima K, Tanaka T. Evaluation of analyses of downstream piping of weirs by model experiments and elastro-plastic FEM. In: The Fourth International Conference on Scour and Erosion. Tokyo, 2008Google Scholar
- 35.Odenwald B, Stelzer O. Verification against hydraulic heave by using FEM based on EC7. Hamburg: Hamburg University of Technology, 2013Google Scholar
- 38.EAU. Recommendations of the Committee for Waterfront Structures, Harbours and Waterways. Berlin: Ernst & Sohn-Wiley, 2012Google Scholar
- 39.Brinkgreve R B J, Kumarswamy S, Swolfs W M. Plaxis 2D Manuals. Delft: Plaxis bv, 2017Google Scholar
- 41.Marachi N D, Duncan J M, Chan C K, Seed H B. Laboratory shear strength of soil. ASTM Special Technical Publication, 1981, STP740: 294–302Google Scholar