Border-search and jump reduction method for size optimization of spatial truss structures
- 20 Downloads
This paper proposes a sensitivity-based border-search and jump reduction method for optimum design of spatial trusses. It is considered as a two-phase optimization approach, where at the first phase, the first local optimum is found by few analyses, after the whole searching space is limited employing an efficient random strategy, and the second phase involves finding a sequence of local optimum points using the variables sensitivity with respect to corresponding values of constraints violation. To reach the global solution at phase two, a sequence of two sensitivity-based operators of border-search operator and jump operator are introduced until convergence is occurred. Sensitivity analysis is performed using numerical finite difference method. To do structural analysis, a link between open source software of OpenSees and MATLAB was developed. Spatial truss problems were attempted for optimization in order to show the fastness and efficiency of proposed technique. Results were compared with those reported in the literature. It shows that the proposed method is competitive with the other optimization methods with a significant reduction in number of analyses carried.
Keywordsoptimum design sensitivity analysis reduction method spatial trusses OpenSees
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 5.Kennedy J. Particle swarm optimization. In: Sammut C, Webb G I, eds. Encyclopedia of Machine Learning. Boston: Springer, 2011, 760–766Google Scholar
- 6.Yang X, Deb S. Cuckoo search via levy flight. In: Proceedings of World Congress on Nature and Biologically Inspired Algorithms. IEEE, 2009, 210–214Google Scholar
- 15.Shahnazari-Shahrezaei P, Tavakkoli-Moghaddam R, Kazemipoor H. Solving a new fuzzy multi-objective model for a multi-skilled manpower scheduling problem by particle swarm optimization and elite Tabu search. International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology, 2013, 64: 1517CrossRefzbMATHGoogle Scholar
- 21.Salar M, Ghasemi M R, Dizangian B. A fast GA-based method for solving truss optimization problems. International Journal of Optimization in Civil Engineering, 2015, 6(1): 101–114Google Scholar
- 31.Khan M R, Willmert K D, Thornton W A. A new optimality criterion method for large scale structures. In: Proceedings of 19th Structures, Structural Dynamics and Materials Conference, Structures, Structural Dynamics, and Materials and Co-located Conferences. Bethesda, 1979Google Scholar
- 39.Kazemzadeh Azad S. Optimum design of structures using an improved firefly algorithm. International Journal of Optimization in Civil Engineering, 2011, 1(2): 327–340Google Scholar
- 40.Hadidi A, Azad S K, Azad S K. Structural optimization using artificial bee colony algorithm. In: Proceedings of 2nd International Conference on Engineering Optimization. 2010, 6–9Google Scholar