Linear and nonlinear elastic analysis of closely spaced strip foundations using Pasternak model
- 118 Downloads
In this study, an attempt is made to determine the interaction effect of two closely spaced strip footings using Pasternak model. The study considers small strain problem and has been performed using linear as well as nonlinear elastic analysis to determine the interaction effect of two nearby strip footings. The hyperbolic stress-strain relationship has been considered for the nonlinear elastic analysis. The linear elastic analysis has been carried out by deriving the equations for the interference effect of the footings in the framework of Pasternak model equation; whereas, the nonlinear elastic analysis has been performed using the finite difference method to solve the second order nonlinear differential equation evolved from Pasternak model with proper boundary conditions. Results obtained from the linear and the nonlinear elastic analysis are presented in terms of non-dimensional interaction factors by varying different parameters like width of the foundation, load on the foundation and the depth of the rigid base. Results are suitably compared with the existing values in the literature.
Keywordsbearing capacity linear and non-linear elasticity foundation interaction effect numerical modeling Pasternak model
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.West J M, Stuart J G. Oblique loading resulting from interference between surface footings on sand. In: Proceedings of the 6th International Conference on Soil Mechanics. Montreal, 1965, 2: 214–217Google Scholar
- 15.Saran S, Agarwal V C. Interference of surface footings in sand. Indian Geotechnical Journal, 1974, 4(2): 129–139Google Scholar
- 16.Deshmukh A M. Interaction of different types of footings on sand. Indian Geotechnical Journal, 1979, 9: 193–204Google Scholar
- 18.Das B M, Puri V K, Neo B K. Interference effects between two surface footings on layered soil. Transportation Research Record 1406, Transportation Research Board, Washington, DC, 1993, 34–40Google Scholar
- 31.Pasternak P L. On a new method of analysis of an elastic foundation by means of two foundation constants. Gosudarstvennoe Izdatelstro Liberaturi po Stroitelstvui Arkhitekture, Moscow, 1954Google Scholar
- 32.Vlazov V Z, Leontiev U N. Beams, plates and shells on elastic foundations. Israel Program for Scientific Translations, Jerusalem, 1966Google Scholar
- 35.Selvadurai A P S. Elastic Analysis of Soil Foundation Interaction. Elsevier Scientific Publishing Company, The Netherlands, 1979Google Scholar
- 36.Das B M. Principles of Geotechnical Engineering. 5th ed. Thomson Brooks/Cole, India, 2007Google Scholar
- 37.Nainegali L S. Finite element analysis of two symmetric and asymmetric interfering footings resting on linearly and non-linearly elastic foundation beds. Dissertation for the Doctoral Degree, IIT Kanpur, 2014Google Scholar