Optimal bundles for sponsored search auctions via bracketing scheme
- 7 Downloads
Sponsored search auction has been recently studied and auctioneer’s revenue is an important consideration in probabilistic single-item second-price auctions. Some papers have analyzed the revenue maximization problem on different methods to bundle contexts. In this paper, we propose a more flexible and natural method which is called the bracketing method.We prove that finding a bracketing scheme that maximizes the auctioneer’s revenue is strongly NP-hard. Then, a heuristic algorithm is given. Experiments on three test cases show that the revenue of the optimal bracketing scheme is very close to the optimal revenue without any bundling constraint, and the heuristic algorithm performs very well. Finally, we consider a simpler model that for each row in the valuation matrix, the non-zero cells have the same value. We prove that the revenue maximization problem with K-anonymous signaling scheme and cardinality constrained signaling scheme in this simpler model are both NP-hard.
Keywordssponsored search auction revenue maximization bracketing scheme NP-hardness
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
We would like to thank the anonymous reviewers for their many insightful comments and suggestions. This work was supported by the National Natural Science Foundation of China (Grant No. 61672012).
- 1.Interactive Advertising Bureau. Iab Internet advertising revenue report 2013 full year results. Technical Report, 2014Google Scholar
- 7.Emek Y, Feldman M, Gamzu I, Tennenholtz M. Revenue maximization in probabilistic single-item auctions via signaling. In: Proceedings of the 7th Ad Auctions Workshop. 2011Google Scholar
- 8.Miltersen B, Sheffet O. Send mixed signals: earn more, work less. In: Proceedings of the 13th ACM Conference on Electronic Commerce. 2012, 234–247Google Scholar
- 12.Chen C, Qin T. k-anonymous signaling scheme. 2013, arXiv preprint arXiv:1311.6638Google Scholar
- 13.Guo M Y, Deligkas A. Revenue maximization via hiding item attributes. In: Proceedings of the 23rd International Joint Conference on Artificial Intelligence. 2013Google Scholar
- 14.Papadimitriou P, Garcia-Molina H, Dasdan A, Kolay S. Output url bidding. In: Proceedings of the 37th International Conference on Very Large Data Bases. 2010, 161–172Google Scholar
- 15.Dasdan A, Santanu K, Papadimitriou P, Garcia-Molina H. Output bidding: a new search advertising model complementary to keyword bidding. In: Proceedings of the 5th Workshop on Ad Auctions. 2009Google Scholar