Synthesis and bacterial inhibition of novel Ag2S–N–CQD composite material
- 23 Downloads
The present work aims to combine carbon quantum dots (CQDs) with the good water solubility, biocompatibility, and low toxicity and nano-sized silver sulfide with excellent antibacterial effect in the synthesized composite. The composite was further treated with polyethyleneimine (PEI) and conjugated with graphene oxide (GO). The as-prepared composite Ag2S–CQDs–PEI–GO exhibits a core of Ag2S with the size of 20–50 nm and the shell of CQDs with the average particle size of 1.8 nm. The core shell structure is loaded on the template of PEI–GO. Strong antibacterial effect was observed on Ag2S–CQDs composite against four strands of bacteria Staphylococcus aureus (S. aureus), Escherichia coli (E. coli), Enterococcus faecalis (E. faecalis), and Pseudomonas aeruginosa (P. aeruginosa). We briefly discussed the bacteriostatic mechanism of the composite. The as-prepared composite has huge potential in the development of biomedicine.
KeywordsCarbon quantum dots Ag2S Composite materials Inhibition
We appreciate the financial support from the National Natural Science Foundation of China Project (21867015; 31860250). This work is also supported by The Foundation of Key Laboratory of Eco-functional Polymer Materials of the Ministry of Education.
- Araujo CMB, Nascimento GFO, Costa GRB, Silva KS, Baptisttella AMS, Ghislandi MG, Sobrinho MAM (2018) Adsorptive removal of dye from real textile wastewater using graphene oxide produced via modifications of Hummers method. Chem Eng Commun. https://doi.org/10.1080/00986445.2018.1534232 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Bushra R, Naushad M, Sharma G, Azam A, Alothman ZA (2017) Synthesis of polyaniline based composite material and its analytical applications for the removal of highly toxic Hg2+ metal ion: antibacterial activity against E. coli. Korean J Chem Eng 34:1970–1979. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11814-017-0076-3 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Gupta VK, Agarwal S, Tyagi I, Pathania D, Rathore BS, Sharma G (2015) Synthesis, characterization and analytical application of cellulose acetate-tin (IV) molybdate nanocomposite ion exchanger: binary separation of heavy metal ions and antimicrobial activity. Ionics 21:2069–2078. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11581-015-1368-4 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Kovacova M, Markovic ZM, Humpolicek P, Micusik M, Kleinova A, Danko M et al (2018) Carbon quantum dots modified polyurethane nanocomposites as effective photocatalytic and antibacterial agents. ACS Biomater Sci Eng 4(12):3983–3993. https://doi.org/10.1021/acsbiomaterials.8b00582 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Li D, Wan D, Zhu X, Wang Y, Han Z, Han S, Shan Y, Huang F (2014) Solar energy materials & solar cells broadband antireflection TiO2–SiO2 stack coatings with refractive-index-grade structure and their applications to Cu (In, Ga) Se2 solar cells. Sol Energy Mater Sol Cells 130:505–512. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.solmat.2014.07.042 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Sharma G, Alothman ZA, Kumar A, Sharma S, Ponnusamy SK, Naushad M (2017a) Fabrication and characterization of a nanocomposite hydrogel for combined photocatalytic degradation of a mixture of malachite green and fast green dye. Nanotechnol Environ Eng 2:4. https://doi.org/10.1007/s41204-017-0014-y CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Sharma G, Bhogal S, Naushad M, Inamuddin Kumar A, Stadler F (2017b) Microwave assisted fabrication of La/Cu/Zr/carbon dots trimetallic nanocomposites with their adsorptional vs photocatalytic efficiency for remediation of persistent organic pollutants. J Photochem Photobiol A 347:235–243. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jphotochem.2017.07.001 CrossRefGoogle Scholar