Introducing a nanozyme-based sensor for selective and sensitive detection of mercury(II) using its inhibiting effect on production of an indamine polymer through a stable n-electron irreversible system
- 1 Downloads
A sensitive and selective nanozyme-based sensor for Hg2+ detection has been constructed by utilizing a stable n-electron irreversible system using 3,3′-diaminobenzidine (DAB) for producing an indamine polymer as the analytical probe. In this system, oxidation of DAB to indamine polymer by hydrogen peroxide was catalyzed using gold nanozyme. In the presence of Hg2+, production of the indamine polymer was inhibited and consequently the corresponding change in absorbance measured at 460 nm was linearly related to the concentration of Hg2+. The method showed good selectivity toward Hg2+ against its coexisting species and a linear working range of 0.14–7.35 mg L−1 with a detection limit of 20 µg L−1 was achieved for Hg2+ measurement. The method is appropriate for the analysis of Hg2+ in water samples.
Keywords3,3′-Diaminobenzidine Nanozyme Colorimetry Peroxidase Mercury(II) Hydrogen peroxide
The authors wish to acknowledge the support of this work by Shiraz University Research Council.
- Agah A, Fatemi MR, Mehdinia A, Savari A (2011) Determining total mercury in samples from the Persian Gulf and the Caspian Sea: comparison of dry ash and wet extraction methods. Mar Sci 24:11–18Google Scholar
- Chansuvarn W, Imyim A (2015) Colorimetric detection of mercury(II) based on Gold nanoparticles, fluorescent gold nanoclusters and other gold-based nanomaterials. Anal Chem 65:83–96Google Scholar
- Creed JT, Brockhoff CA, Martin TD (1994) Methods for the determination of metal ions in environmental samples. EPA Method 200.8 EMMC version 2.8, Revision 5.4. EMSL Cincinnati OH45268Google Scholar
- Hemdan Abou-Taleb A, El-Wasseef DR, El-Sherbiny DT, El-Ashry SM (2014) Application of factorial design for optimization of spectrophotometric determination of Cefdinir using MBTH. Am J Pharm Tech Res 4:238–258Google Scholar
- Lou T, Chen Z, Wang Y, Chen L (2011) Blue-to-red colorimetric sensing strategy for Hg2+ and Ag+ via redox-regulated surface chemistry of gold nanoparticles. ACS Appl Mater Interfaces 3:1567–1573Google Scholar
- Morsin M, Mat Salleh M, Ali Umar A (2012) Detection of boric acid using localized surface plasmon resonance sensor of gold nanoparticles. In: The 14th international meeting on chemical sensors (IMCS). 1418-21Google Scholar
- Shirkhanloo H, Khaligh A, Zavvar Mousavi H, Eskandari MM, Miran-Beigi AK (2015) Ultra-trace arsenic and mercury speciation and determination in blood samples by ionic liquid-based dispersive liquid-liquid microextraction combined with flow injection-hydride generation/cold vapor atomic absorption spectroscopy. Chem Pap 69:779–790CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Taylor CR, Rudbeck L (2013) Immunohistochemical staining methods, 6th edn. Dako Denmark A/S, An Agilent Technologies Company, GlostrupSouthGoogle Scholar
- Ismaiel A, Aroua MK, Yusoff R (2012) Potentiometric determination of trace amounts of mercury(II) in water sample using a new modified palm shell activated carbon paste electrode based on kryptofix®5. Anal. Chem. 3:859–865Google Scholar