Hydrophobic, organic–inorganic hybrid sol–gel coatings containing boehmite nanoparticles for metal corrosion protection
- 16 Downloads
In this study, fluoro-functionalized hydrophobic/oleophobic hybrid nanocomposite coatings, which are highly resistant and transparent, long-lasting and mechanically stable, have been deposited on metal substrate surfaces by the sol–gel method. Organic–inorganic hybrid matrix was prepared using tetraethoxysilane and organically modified silicon alkoxide, namely 3-(glycidyloxypropyl) trimethoxysilane. Additionally, to increase hydrophobic behavior, a fluorinated silica-alkoxide precursor and AlO(OH) NPs were added to the hybrid matrix. Water and n-hexadecane contact angle, surface morphologies, thicknesses and surface roughness of the films were determined. Additionally, optical characterizations and mechanical properties of the films such as light transmittance, haze, clarity, gloss were investigated. A salt spray corrosion test and electrochemical corrosion measurements were also performed. Optimum properties were acquired in the hydrophobic hybrid nanocomposite coating containing 15 wt% of 3 nm AlO(OH) NPs.
KeywordsFunctional coatings Hybrid sol–gel matrix AlO(OH) NPs Hydrophobicity Corrosion protection
I gratefully acknowledge financial support of the Akdeniz University Research Found. Help of Dr. Edip Bayram (Akdeniz University) for electrochemical analysis is gratefully acknowledged.
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
The author declares that they have no conflict of interest.
- Altinbalik MT, Mutlu S (2014) A comparative cost analysis between conventional and progressive draw die. Int J Mod Manuf Technol VI(1). https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/97ae/b4e3238e766e0c43c91f7b81cb01208ee179.pdf?_ga=2.44349164.951370348.1564573627-1075759943.1561727819
- ČSN ISO 9227 (2007) Corrosion tests in artificial atmospheres—salt spray tests. European Standard EN ISO 9227:2006Google Scholar
- Gerhardus K, Jeff V, Thopson N, Moghissi O, Gould M, Payer J (2016) International measures of prevention, application, and economics of corrosion technologies study. pp 1–216. http://impact.nace.org/documents/Nace-International-Report.pdf
- ISO 1518-2:2011 (2011) Paints and varnishes—Determination of scratch resistance—part 2: variable-loading method. https://www.iso.org/standard/59596.html
- ISO 15184:2012 (2012) Paints and varnishes—determination of film hardness by pencil test. https://www.iso.org/standard/55329.html
- Koene BE, Martin R, Goff A, Hay J (2016) Durable hydrophobic coatings for corrosion protection. Adv Mater TechConnect Briefs 2016(1):229–232Google Scholar
- Maeztu JD, Rivero PJ, Berlanga C, Bastidas DM, Palacio JF, Rodriguez R (2017) Effect of graphene oxide and fluorinated polymeric chains incorporated in a multilayered sol–gel nanocoating for the design of corrosion resistant and hydrophobic surfaces. Appl Surf Sci 419:138–149. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apsusc.2017.05.043 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Mishra T, Mohanty AK, Tiwari SK (2013) Recent development in clay based functional coating for corrosion protection. Key Eng Mater 571(July):93–109. https://doi.org/10.4028/www.scientific.net/KEM.571.93 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Rivero P, Maeztu J, Berlanga C, Miguel A, Palacio J, Rodriguez R (2018) Hydrophobic and corrosion behavior of sol–gel hybrid coatings based on the combination of TiO2 NPs and fluorinated chains for aluminum alloys protection. Metals 8(12):1076. https://doi.org/10.3390/met8121076 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Scratch Hardness Tester acc. to Model 291 Description, Technical Instructions, Operating (2019). https://www.iso.org/standard/55329.html
- Umoren SA, Solomon MM (2019) Protective polymeric films for industrial substrates: a critical review on past and recent applications with conducting polymers and polymer composites/nanocomposites. Prog Mater Sci 104(March):380–450. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.pmatsci.2019.04.002 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Zheludkevich ML, Serra R, Montemor MF, Yasakau KA, Salvado IMM, Ferreira MGS (2005a) Nanostructured sol–gel coatings doped with cerium nitrate as pre-treatments for AA2024-T3 Corrosion protection performance. Electrochim Acta 51(2):208–217. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.electacta.2005.04.021 CrossRefGoogle Scholar