Ferrocene-functionalized gold nanoparticles: study of a simple synthesis method and their electrochemical behavior
- 73 Downloads
We report on a new synthesis protocol for functionalization of water-insoluble ferrocene derivative on gold nanoparticles (AuNPs) in aqueous media. 11-mercaptoundecylferrocene (HS-(CH2)11-ferrocene) (FcSH) was successfully conjugated on AuNPs in an aqueous phase with the help of different thiol-alkylated polyethyleneglycol (PEG) ligands. Cyclic voltammetry (CV) was carried out for a range of sets of ferrocene-functionalized Au nanoparticles (FcSH–AuNPs) which showed electrochemical (EC) adsorption due to dithiolated linkage/self-assembly of monolayers (SAMs) on gold electrode surface. Importantly, the redox activity, aqueous solubility and stability of FcSH–AuNPs were noticed to remain unchanged throughout the study.
KeywordsThiolated ferrocene Functionalized gold nanoparticles Thiolated polyethylene glycol Cyclic voltammtery Dithiol monolayer Redox activity
The author is thankful to COMSATS University for financial support.
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
There is no conflict of interest.
- Baca AJ, Zhou F, Wang J, Hu J, Li J, Wang J, Chikneyan ZS (2004) Attachment of ferrocene-capped gold nanoparticle/streptavidin conjugates onto electrode surfaces covered with biotinylated biomolecules for enhanced voltammetric analysis. Electroanalysis 16:73–80. https://doi.org/10.1002/elan.200302920 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Bard AJ, Faulker RL (2001) Electrochemical methods fundamentals and applications, 2nd edn. Wiley, New YorkGoogle Scholar
- Eustis S, El-Sayed MA (2006) Why gold nanoparticles are more precious than pretty gold: noble metal surface plasmon resonance and its enhancement of the radiative and nonradiative properties of nanocrystals of different shapes. Chem Soc Rev 35:209–217. https://doi.org/10.1039/B514191E CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Hegde RN, Swamy BEK, Sherigara BS, Nandibewoor ST, (2008) Electro-oxidation of atenolol at a glassy carbon electrode. Int J Electrochem Sci 3, 302–314. http://www.electrochemsci.org/
- Loweth JC, Caldwell BW, Peng X, Alivisatos PA, Schultz GP (1999) DNA-based assembly of gold nanocrystals. Angew Chem Int Ed 5:1808–1812. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1521-3773(19990614)38:12%3c1808:AID-ANIE1808%3e3.0.CO;2-C CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Wang J (1948) Analytical electrochemistry, 3rd edn. Wiley-VCH, New York, pp 37–41Google Scholar
- Woehrle HG, Hutchison JE, Ozkar S, Finke RG, (2006) Analysis of Nanoparticle Transmission Electron Microscopy Data Using a Public- Domain Image-Processing Program Image. Turk J Chem 30: 1–13. dergipark.gov.tr/download/article-file/123995Google Scholar