Activation and recyclization of a benzocyclobutenone derivative catalyzed by a chiral Rh(I) complex based on DFT investigations
- 20 Downloads
The R- and S-activation and cyclization channels of an achiral benzocyclobutenone derivative to a pair of enantiomers with poly-fused rings were investigated systematically based on full optimization with the BP86 functional in gas phase and the M06 functional in tetrahydrofuran (THF). Both the BP86 and M06 methods show that the R-channel is energetically more favorable than the S-channel in gas phase and in THF. The rate-determining step for the R-channel is the C–C activation with a barrier of 17.2 kcal/mol in THF and 11.8 kcal/mol in gas phase, but for the S-channel, the rate-determining step is the pentatomic ring formation process with a barrier of 25.6 kcal/mol in THF and 22.3 kcal/mol in gas phase.
KeywordsC–C activation Olefin carboacylation BP86 M06
This work was supported by the National Natural Science Foundation of China (21502136), the Natural Science Foundation of Shandong Province (ZR2017LB010) and the Scientific Research Initial Foundation for Introduction of Talent of Taishan University (Y-01-2013010).
- Darmon JM, Stieber SCE, Sylvester KT, Fernández I, Lobkovsky E, Semproni SP, Bill E, Wieghardt K, DeBeer S, Chirik PJ (2012) Oxidative addition of carbon–carbon bonds with a redox-active bis(imino)pyridine iron complex. J Am Chem Soc 134:17125–17137. https://doi.org/10.1021/ja306526d CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Frisch MJ, Trucks GW, Schlegel HB, Scuseria GE, Robb MA, Cheeseman JR, Scalmani G, Barone V, Mennucci B, Petersson GA, Nakatsuji H, Caricato M, Li X, Hratchian HP, Izmaylov AF, Bloino J, Zheng G, Sonnenberg JL, Hada M, Ehara M, Toyota K, Fukuda R, Hasegawa J, Ishida M, Nakajima T, Honda Y, Kitao O, Nakai H, Vreven T, Montgomery JA Jr, Peralta JE, Ogliaro F, Bearpark M, Heyd JJ, Brothers E, Kudin KN, Staroverov VN, Keith T, Kobayashi R, Normand J, Raghavachari K, Rendell A, Burant JC, Iyengar SS, Tomasi J, Cossi M, Rega N, Millam JM, Klene M, Knox JE, Cross JB, Bakken V, Adamo C, Jaramillo J, Gomperts R, Stratmann RE, Yazyev O, Austin AJ, Cammi R, Pomelli C, Ochterski JW, Martin RL, Morokuma K, Zakrzewski VG, Voth GA, Salvador P, Dannenberg JJ, Dapprich S, Daniels AD, Farkas O, Foresman JB, Ortiz JV, Cioslowski J, Fox DJ (2010) GAUSSIAN09 (Revision C.01). Gaussian Inc, WallingfordGoogle Scholar
- Handa M, Nishiura S, Masuda T, Yano N, Mikuriya M, Kataoka Y (2018) Synthesis, structure, and properties of a lantern-type dinuclear rhodium(II) complex cis-[Rh2(4-Me-pf)2(O2CCMe3)2], 4-Me-pf–=N,N′-di-p-tolylformamidinate anion. Chem Pap 72:841–851. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11696-017-0244-2 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Jin N-Z, Zhang Z-F, Zhang Q-B, Zhe J-W, Li B-G, Sun Y-T (2017) Cis Watson-Crick/Watson-Crick base pairs in DNA: a density functional theory (DFT) study. Chin J Struct Chem 36:1251–1263. 10.14102/j.cnki.0254-5861.2011-1503Google Scholar
- Lu G, Fang C, Xu T, Dong G, Liu P (2015a) Computational study of Rh-catalyzed carboacylation of olefins: ligand-promoted rhodacycle isomerization enables regioselective C–C bond functionalization of benzocyclobutenones. J Am Chem Soc 137:8274–8283. https://doi.org/10.1021/jacs.5b04691 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Ren H-J (2017) Insight of the structures and properties on 2-thioxanthine complexes with one Hg2+ and two Cl− ions: a theoretical investigation. Chin J Struct Chem 36:1771–1779. 10.14102/j.cnki.0254-5861.2011-1603Google Scholar
- Xu Z-Y, Zhang S-Q, Liu J-R, Chen P-P, Li X, Yu H-Z, Hong X, Fu Y (2018) Mechanism and origins of chemo- and regioselectivities of Pd-catalyzed intermolecular σ-bond exchange between benzocyclobutenones and silacyclobutanes: a computational study. Organometallics 37:592–602. https://doi.org/10.1021/acs.organomet.7b00903 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Zhao Y, Truhlar D (2008) The M06 suite of density functionals for main group thermochemistry, thermochemical kinetics, noncovalent interactions, excited states, and transition elements: two new functionals and systematic testing of four M06-class functionals and 12 other functionals. Theor Chem Acc 120:215–241. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00214-007-0310-x CrossRefGoogle Scholar