Improved protocol for synthesis of N-(3-chloro-4-fluorophenyl)-7-methoxy-6-(3-morpholin-4-ylpropoxy) quinazolin-4-amine (gefitinib)
- 64 Downloads
An improved three-step process for the synthesis of gefitinib from readily available starting material is discussed in this protocol. The protocol is based on the synthesis, isolation, characterization of novel intermediates and their application in the alkylation step for the synthesis of gefitinib. Excellent results were achieved over the conventional synthetic methodologies. Isolation of these intermediates were effective in replacing high boiling solvent with low boiling solvent(s) but also in eliminating base from the reaction. These conditions led to effective elimination of all the prior art reported impurities. This high-yielding process is cost-effective with isolable and stable intermediates. These intermediates were characterized using NMR, mass spectroscopy, DSC and XRPD analyses.
KeywordsGefitinib Iressa Alkali metal salts O-Alkylation Novel intermediate Improved protocol
- Armarego WF, Chai CLL (2012) Purification of laboratory chemicals, 7th edn. Butterworth-Heinemann, OxfordGoogle Scholar
- Barker AJ (1993) Quinazoline Derivatives. European Patent 0566226Google Scholar
- Barker A, Brown DS (1996) Quinazoline Derivatives European Patent 060285B1Google Scholar
- Gibson HK (1998) Quinazoline derivatives. US Patent5770599Google Scholar
- Gefitinib-fda label (2003) https://www.accessdata.fda.gov/drugsatfda_docs/label/2003/021399lbl.pdf
- Pandey A, Volkots DL, Seroogy MJ, Rose WJ (2002) Identification of orally active, potent and selective 4-piperazinylquinazolines as antagonists of the platelet-derived growth factor receptor tyrosine kinase family. J Med Chem 45(17):3772–3793. https://doi.org/10.1021/jm020143r CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Schnur RC, Arnold LD (1998) Alkynyl and azido-substituted 4-anilinoquinazolines. US Patent 5747498Google Scholar
- Website: http://Chemoth.com. Accessed 03 Oct 2017.