Roux-en-Y Gastric Bypass Versus Sleeve Gastrectomy for Super Super Obese and Super Obese: Systematic Review and Meta-analysis of Weight Results, Comorbidity Resolution
Roux-en-Y gastric bypass (RYGB) and sleeve gastrectomy (SG) used for super obesity (SO) and super super obesity (SSO) remain controversial. The meta-analysis was to summarize the evidence.
We searched in MEDLINE and PubMed for studies concerning RYGB and SG for SO or SSO and pooled complication, percentage excess weight loss (%EWL), and resolution of comorbidities.
Twelve studies were identified. RYGB achieved higher %EWL at 12 months, but no significant difference at 24 months. Resolution of diabetes mellitus and dyslipidemia reached a statistical significance; however, there was no significant difference in hypertension.
RYGB was superior in %EWL for SSO and SO at 12 months. However, regarding at 24 months, RYGB was equal to SG, which is from a meta-analysis and cannot be seen as a definitive conclusion.
KeywordsRoux-en-Y gastric bypass Sleeve gastrectomy Super super obesity Super obesity
Compliance with Ethical Standards
Conflict of Interest
All the authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
Ethical Approval Statement
For this type of study formal consent is not required.
Informed Consent Statement
Does not apply.
- 12.Golzarand M, Toolabi K, Farid R. The bariatric surgery and weight losing: a meta-analysis in the long- and very long-term effects of laparoscopic adjustable gastric banding, laparoscopic Roux-en-Y gastric bypass and laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy on weight loss in adults. Surg Endosc. 2017;31(11):4331–45.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 13.Hozo SP, Djulbegovic B, Hozo I. Estimating the mean and variance from the median, range, and the size of a sample. BMC Med Res Methodol, 2005. 5:13.Google Scholar
- 20.Bettencourt-Silva R, Neves JS, Pedro J.et al. Comparative effectiveness of different bariatric procedures in super morbid obesity. Obes Surg. 2019;29(1):281–91.Google Scholar
- 24.Hong J, Park S, Menzo EL, et al. Midterm outcomes of laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy as a stand-alone procedure in super-obese patients. Surg Obes Relat Dis. 2018;03(14):3.Google Scholar
- 26.Arapis K, Makrina N, Diana K. et al. Outcomes of Roux-en-Y gastric bypass versus sleeve gastrectomy in super-super obese patients (BMI ≥ 60kg/m2): 6-year follow-up at a single university. Surg Obes Relat Dis. 2018. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.soard.2018.09.487.