Characterization of tannins from two wild blackberries (Rubus spp) by LC–ESI–MS/MS, NMR and antioxidant capacity
- 30 Downloads
Tannins are phenolics found in fruits such as wild Rubus berries. The aim of this study was to determine the profile by LC–ESI–MS/MS and NMR, antioxidant capacity (AOX) of the tannins in two Mexican wild blackberries. Fractions rich in tannins (FRT) were isolated using different solvents and chromatographic resins. The LC–ESI–MS/MS and NMR results showed that catechin and epicatechin (m/z 289−1), which are precursors of proanthocyanidins, as well as other six oligomeric forms of ellagitannins (m/z 301−1) were found in R. Liebmannii, whereas in R. Palmeri, only ellagitannins were found, highlighting oligomeric forms of lambertianins and sanguiins (m/z 783−1 to 1869−1). The purification pathway made it possible to increase the AOX 19.7 times from fruits to FRT showing strong positive correlations (R2 > 0.9) with total phenolic content. This study provided a good assessment of the tannin composition of wild blackberries from the Northwest of Mexico and their bioactivity as a potential edible source.
KeywordsWild blackberries Tannins LC–ESI–MS/MS NMR Antioxidant capacity Rubus
This research was supported by Universidad Autónoma de Sinaloa (Grants PROFAPI2014 and PROFAPI2015). Oscar Abel Sánchez-Velázquez’s scholarship was provided by the Consejo Nacional de Ciencia y Tecnología (CONACYT). The authors would also like to thank Dr. Alfredo Leal Orduño for his invaluable support of this research.
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflicts of interest
The authors declare that there are no conflicts of interest.
- 3.IBUNAM (Institute of Biology, National Autonomous University of Mexico), Index of Genus: Rubus (2018). https://unibio.unam.mx/generosmexu/index.jsp. Accessed 03 August 2018.
- 4.J. Reyes-Carmona, G.G. Yousef, R.A. Martínez-Peniche, M.A. Lila, J. Food Sci. (2005). https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2621.2005.tb11498.x Google Scholar
- 7.E. O. Cuevas-Rodríguez, V. P. Dia, G. G. Yousef, P. A. Garcia-Saucedo, J. López-Medina, O. Paredes-López, E. Gonzalez-de Mejia, M. A. Lila, J. Agric. Food Chem. (2010) https://doi.org/10.1021/jf102590p
- 9.I. Ky, A. Le Floch, L. Zeng, L. Pechamat, M. Jourdes, P. L. Teissedre, Enc. Food Health (2016). https://doi.org/10.1016/B978-0-12-384947-2.00683-8
- 10.J. Montes-Ávila, G. López-Angulo, F. Delgado-Vargas, Fruit Veg. Phytochem. (2018). https://doi.org/10.1002/9781119158042.ch13
- 21.K. I. Nurmi, V. Ossipov, E. Haukioja, P. Kalevi, P, J. Chem. Ecol. (1996) https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02040093