Characterization of gluten free flatbread: quality improvement by the addition of hydrocolloids and emulsifiers using simplex centroid design
- 44 Downloads
The study aimed to investigate effects of addition of hydrocolloids (guar gum, xanthan gum) and emulsifiers (sodium stearoyl 2 lactylate, glycerol monostearate) on the quality of formulated gluten free dough and flatbread. Simplex centroid design was employed for the purpose. Dough textural parameters (dough stickiness, dough strength, gumminess, elasticity) and flatbread characteristics (tear force, elasticity, hardness, chewiness, and resilience) were studied. Texture profile analysis was done for both dough and flatbread samples. These additives lead to enhanced properties of gluten free dough and flatbread. The optimum formulation for these hydrocolloids and emulsifiers contained guar gum (0.8%), xanthan gum (0.3%), glycerol monostearate (0.9%). This optimum formulation of additives produced gluten free dough and flatbread with better rheological and textural quality.
KeywordsHydrocolloids Emulsifiers TPA Simplex centroid design Gluten free Flatbread
Authors are grateful to UGC (University Grants Commission) for providing economical support.
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
Authors do not have any conflicts of interest.
- 2.H. Bourekoua, R. Różyło, L. Benatallah, A. Wójtowicz, G. Łysiak, M.N. Zidoune, A. Sujak, Characteristics of gluten-free bread: quality improvement by the addition of starches/hydrocolloids and their combinations using a definitive screening design. Eur. Food Res. Technol. 244(2), 345–354 (2018)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 6.M.C. Bourne, Texture profile analysis. Food Technol. 32, 62–66 (1978)Google Scholar
- 8.R.G. Henika, Use of response surface methodology in sensory evaluation. Food Technol. 36(11), 96–101 (1982)Google Scholar
- 10.P.C. Dreese, J.M. Faubion, R.C. Hoseney, Dynamic rheological properties of flour, gluten, and gluten-starch doughs. II. Effect of various processing and ingredient changes. Cereal Chem. 64, 354–359 (1988)Google Scholar
- 11.P.J. Cressey, W.P. Campbell, C.W. Wrigley, W.B. Griffin, Statistical correlations between quality attributes and grain-protein composition. Cereal Chem. 64(4), 299–301 (1987)Google Scholar
- 17.K.T. Trinh, S. Glasgow, On the texture profile analysis test. In: Chemeca 2012: quality of life through chemical engineering, Wellington (2012)Google Scholar
- 21.S. Tamstorf, Emulsifiers for bakery and starch products. Grindsted Techn. Pap. TP 9, 1–27 (1983)Google Scholar