Chemical and thermal properties of flours from germinated amaranth seeds
- 30 Downloads
Modification of the chemical composition of amaranth flours from Amaranth caudatus L. seeds with germination was studied. Seeds were sprouted at 30 °C for 0, 18, 24, and 48 h. Proximal composition, total phenolic content and antioxidant activity were evaluated. Further, changes in fatty acid and protein profiles and in amino acid composition due to germination were analyzed. In addition, modification in thermal properties of starch and proteins of amaranth flours were studied. Germination process increased protein, ash, water soluble carbohydrates, phenols contents and antioxidant activity, while reduced the amount of lipids. Proportion of P-globulins and 11S (62 kDa) decreased while the A-11S polypeptide (34 kDa) increased with germination. After 18 h of germination, respect to the control flour, lysine and aromatic amino acids and essential fatty acids content of flour significantly increased. Therefore, germination improved nutritional characteristics of amaranth flour turning it into a high nutritional food ingredient.
KeywordsAmaranth flour Seed germination Protein fractions Amino acid profile Essential fatty acids
The authors want to thank MINCYT, CONICET, and UNLP for the financial support, also to Claudio Reyes for the HPLC assistance and Mariana Pennisi for the technical support in GC assays.
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
- 21.AACC, Approved methods of the American association of cereal chemists (10th ed.). St. Paul: The Association (2000)Google Scholar
- 22.A.-C. Eliasson, Carbohydrates in Food, 2 edn. (CRC Press, New York, 2006)Google Scholar
- 25.I.F. Benzie, J. Strain, in Methods Enzymol. (Elsevier, new York, 1999), pp. 15–27Google Scholar
- 31.L.R. Beuchat, Cereal Foods World USA (1981)Google Scholar
- 33.A.C. De Ruiz, R. Bressani, Cereal Chem. 67, 519 (1990)Google Scholar
- 34.D.L. Nelson, M.M. Cox, Lehninger Principles of Biochemistry, 4th ed. (WH Freeman., n.d.)Google Scholar
- 35.D. Chaparro Rojas, P. Portilla, A. Elizalde Correa, N. Vivas Quila, C. Erazo Caicedo, Biotecnol. En El Sect (Agropecu, Agroindustrial, 2010)Google Scholar
- 47.AAC, Argentinean Alimentarius Codex. Flours. Tomo I-a. Capítulos IX (Art. 661-Res.167). (2018)Google Scholar