Analysis of Low-Pressure Turbine Nozzle Guide Vane Failure in an Aero Gas Turbine Engine: A Computational Approach
- 35 Downloads
Failure of low-pressure turbine nozzle guide vane (NGV) in an aero gas turbine engine is analyzed using computational approach. Breakage in the cooling system of the nozzle guide vane reducing the cooling effectiveness is found to be the main cause of NGV failure. Microstructure analysis also shows severe oxidation due to high temperature experienced in service leading to erosion of the NGV.
KeywordsFailure analysis Cracks Forensic analysis Corrosion Oxidation
The authors are very grateful to the Chief Executive (airworthiness), CEMILAC, for his kind permission for publishing this paper.
- 1.V. Ganesan, Gas Turbines, 2nd edn. (TATA McGraw Hill, New York, 2009)Google Scholar
- 2.H. Cohen, G.F.C. Rogers, H.I.H. Saravanamuttoo, Gas Turbine Theory (Wiley, Hoboken, 1996)Google Scholar
- 5.A.H. Lefebvre, GAS Turbine Combustion (CRC Press, Boca Raton, 1998)Google Scholar
- 7.R.K. Mishra, Influence of upstream flow distortion on the performance of an aero gas turbine combustor, in XIX International Symposium on Air Breathing Engines, Montreal, Canada (2009)Google Scholar
- 8.R.K. Mishra, M.N. Bhat, R.D. Navindgi, T.K. Sampathkumaran, Effect of fuel-air ratio on the performance of a short annular aero gas turbine combustor, in 6th National Conference on Air Breathing Engines, Bangalore, India (2003)Google Scholar
- 10.C.B. Meher-Homji, G. Gabriles, Gas turbine blade failures-causes, avoidance and trouble shooting, in Proceedings of 27th Turbomachinery Symposium (1995)Google Scholar
- 13.Ali Rozati, Large Eddy Simulation of Leading Edge Film Cooling (Faculty of the Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, Blacksburg, 2007)Google Scholar
- 15.D.G. Knost, Predictions and measurements of Film-cooling on the Endwall of a First stage vane (Virginia Polytechnic Institute and state University, Blacksburg, 2003)Google Scholar
- 16.R.J. Garde, Turbulent Flow, 2nd edn. (New Age International Publication, New Delhi, 2010)Google Scholar