Investigation on Failure of a Drilling Rig Mast Structure
- 155 Downloads
A drilling rig that was used for exploration of gaseous fuels was inspected. During its operation the rig mast suddenly collapsed and the structure got twisted from the middle. The failure investigation was carried out to determine the probable causes of failure in the rig. Estimation of mechanical properties, optical microscopic analysis along with scanning electron microscopy examinations were necessary supplements to this investigation. Detailed stress analysis of the structure for different conditions of loads and anchors was examined. It was ultimately concluded that non-functioning of record-o-meter was responsible for rapid increase in operating load and one or more cables/anchoring points did not have sufficient strength to withstand the operating load. The anchoring cable broke with a jerk and the mast structure collapsed under its weight.
KeywordsDefect analysis Failure analysis Fractography Structural Integrity
- 3.W.P. Sung, J.C.M. Kao, R. Chen, Failure analysis of Q345 steel structures on port cranes. Appl. Mech. Mater. 401–413, 844–847 (2013)Google Scholar
- 8.D. Ghosh, H. Roy, S. Ray, A.K. Shukla, High temperature corrosion failure of a secondary superheater tube in thermal power plant boiler. High Temp. Mater. Process. 28(1–2), 109–114 (2011)Google Scholar
- 10.H. Roy, D. Ghosh, A.C. Pankaj, A.K. Shukla, J. Basu, A case study on the premature failure of a cooling water pump shaft. Int. J. Manuf. Sci. Prod. 9(1–2), 99–106 (2011)Google Scholar
- 11.H. Roy, A. Saha, D. Ghosh, S. Roy, A.K. Shukla, Failure investigation of platen superheater outlet header. J. Mech. Behav. Mater. 19(6), 373–382 (2011)Google Scholar
- 14.D. Ghosh, S. Ray, H. Roy, N. Mandal and A.K. Shukla, High temperature graphitization failure of primary superheater tube. High Temp. Mater. Process. doi: 10.1515/htmp-2014-0137
- 17.D. Ghosh, S. Ray, H. Roy and A.K. Shukla, Investigation into cause of high temperature failure of boiler superheater tube. High Temp. Mater. Process. doi: 10.1515/htmp-2014-0018
- 19.H. Roy, P. Sharma, D. Ghosh and A.K. Shukla, Corrosion failure of in-service economizer tube. J. Fail. Anal. Prev. doi: 10.1007/s11668-014-9848-9
- 20.D. Ghosh, S. Ray, A. Mondal, H. Roy, Failure investigation of radiant platen superheater tube of thermal power plant boiler. High Temp. Mater. Process. doi: 10.1515/htmp-2013-0128.
- 21.ASM, ASM Handbook, vol. 1 (ASM, Metals Park, 1993)Google Scholar
- 22.ASTM standard E-8M, Standard Test Methods for Tension Testing of Metallic Materials, vol. 03.01, 2011Google Scholar
- 23.T.R. Chandrapatla, A.D. Belegundu, Introduction to Finite Elements in Engineering. Pearson Higher Ed USA, 2011Google Scholar