Improvement of Microstructure and Mechanical Properties of CoCrCuFeNi High-Entropy Alloys By V Addition
- 70 Downloads
V element had positive effect in improving the strength of many alloys, so it was possible that V had potential to strengthen CoCrCuFeNi high-entropy alloys (HEAs) with face-centered cubic (FCC) crystal structure, which was relatively weak in strength and had outstanding ductility. In this paper, we studied the alloying effect of V on the phase evolution, microstructure and the mechanical properties of the (CoCrCuFeNi)100−xVx (x = 0-16, atomic ratio, hereafter in at.%) HEAs systematically. The results showed that V element had capacity to induce sigma phase precipitation. The volume fraction of sigma phase increased from 0 to 12%; the compressive yield stress of (CoCrCuFeNi)100−xVx HEAs increased from 300 to 613 MPa with V content increasing from 0 to 16% (atomic ratio, hereafter in at.%). However, the compression fracture strain decreased from 50 to 28%. V addition was beneficial in improving the strength of CoCrCuFeNi HEA, and the increase in sigma phase volume fraction was the key factor for the improvement of the (CoCrCuFeNi)100−xVx HEAs in yield stress.
Keywordshigh-entropy alloys mechanical properties phase precipitation V element
This work was supported by the Fund of State Key Laboratory of Advanced Welding and Joining and National Key Research and Development Program of China (2017YFA0403804).
- 9.L. Yuan, C. Min, Y. Li, and X. Chen, Microstructure and Mechanical Performance of AlxCoCrCuFeNi High-Entropy Alloys, Rare Metal Mater. Eng., 2009, 38, p 1602–1607Google Scholar
- 11.Y. Lu, X. Gao, L. Jiang, Z. Chen, T. Wang, J. Jie, H. Kang, Y. Zhang, S. Guo, H. Ruan, Y. Zhao, Z. Cao, and T. Li, Directly Cast Bulk Eutectic and Near-Eutectic High Entropy Alloys with Balanced Strength and Ductility in a Wide Temperature Range, Acta Mater., 2017, 124, p 143–150CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 42.S.W. Tsai, Theory of Composites Design, Think Composites Press, 1992Google Scholar
- 43.S. Guo, C. Ng, J. Lu, and C.T. Liu, Effect of Valence Electron Concentration on Stability of FCC or BCC Phase in High Entropy Alloys, J. Appl. Phys., 2011, 109, p 645–647Google Scholar
- 49.M.C. Troparevsky, J.R. Morris, P.R.C. Kent, A.R. Lupini, and G.M. Stocks, Criteria for Predicting the Formation of Single-Phase High-Entropy Alloys, Phys. Rev. X, 2015, 5, p 1–6Google Scholar
- 50.N. Yurchenko, N. Stepanov, and G. Salishchev, Laves-Phase Formation Criterion for High-Entropy Alloys, Met. Sci. J., 2016, 33, p 17–22Google Scholar