ZrB2-SiC-Ta4HfC5/Ta4HfC5 Oxidation-Resistant Dual-Layer Coating Fabricated by Spark Plasma Sintering for C/C Composites
- 37 Downloads
In this work, a ZrB2-SiC-Ta4HfC5/Ta4HfC5 oxidation-resistant dual-layer coating was fabricated to improve the oxidation resistance of carbon–carbon (C/C) composites. The coating was prepared by pack cementation combined with the slurry paste method. Spark plasma sintering was used in the procedure. The as-prepared dual-layer coating was approximately 110 μm, and no distinct interface was observed between the coating and the matrix. The isothermal oxidation test results showed that the dual coating effectively prevented C/C composites from oxidizing. The weight loss of the coated samples was only 3.3 and 9.5% after oxidation at 1773 K for 20 h and ten thermal shock cycles between 1773 K and room temperature in air, respectively. The pores and microcracks were the main reason for the failure of the coating.
Keywordsdual-layer coating oxidation resistance spark plasma sintering ZrB2-SiC-Ta4HfC5
This work is supported by the National Natural Science Foundation of China under Grant Nos. 11572105 and 51772061, the National Fund for Distinguished Young Scholars (No. 51525201), the Foundation for Innovative Research Groups of the National Natural Science Foundation of China (No. 11421091), the Major State Basic Search Program (No. 2014CB46505).
- 5.M.Y. Hao, R.Y. Luo, Q. Xiang et al., Effects of Fiber-Type on the Microstructure and Mechanical Properties of Carbon/Carbon Composites, New Carbon Mater., 2014, 30(4), p 364–371Google Scholar
- 24.X.H. Fang, Y.I. Mao-Zhong, J.L. Zuo et al., Preparation and Oxidation Resistance of Self-Healing Coating for C/C Composite, Mater. Prot., 2005, 38, p 17–20Google Scholar
- 25.W.H. Kong, J.F. Huang, C.Y. Li et al., Microstructure Analysis and Preparation of B2O3-Modified ZrSiO4/SiC Oxidation Resistant Coatings, Mater. Sci. Forum, 2015, 809–810, p 642–648Google Scholar
- 26.M. Huang, K.Z. Li, H.J. Li et al., Preparation of SiC/Cr-Al-Si Coating for C/C Composites by Two-Step Pack Cementation Method, J. Xian Shiyou Univ., 2009, 24(2), p 89–92Google Scholar
- 28.D.L. Ye and J.H. HU, Handbook of Thermodynamic Data, 2nd ed., Metallurgical Industry Press, Beijing, 2002Google Scholar
- 29.D.E. Winterbone, Advanced Thermodynamics for Engineers, Butterworth Heinemann, London, 1996Google Scholar