Effect of Bismuth Addition on Physical Properties of Sn-Zn Lead-Free Solder Alloy
- 5 Downloads
The aim of this work is to improve the properties of eutectic Sn-9Zn solder alloy by adding different amounts of bismuth to produce alternate lead-free solder alloys for use in electronic applications. Phase identification of the various solders was performed by x-ray diffraction analysis. Scanning electron microscopy was employed for morphological characterization of the prepared solder alloys. Spreading tests were used to measure the contact angle, and the electrical resistance was measured. Differential scanning calorimetry (DSC) thermographs were obtained for the alternate lead-free alloys. The results showed that Bi addition could clearly improve the wettability and physical properties of the Sn-9Zn base alloy by decreasing the melting point.
KeywordsSn-9Zn lead-free solder melting point pasty range contact angle electrical resistivity
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
The High Ministry of Education and Scientific Research is acknowledged for support.
- 14.A. Bakr El-Bediwi, A. El-Shafei, and M. Kamal, IJET-IJENS 14, 61 (2014).Google Scholar
- 15.B.D. Cullity and S.R. Stock, Elements of X-ray Diffraction, 3rd edn (Edinburgh Gate, England: Pearson Education, 2014), pp. 375–381.Google Scholar
- 16.K. Nogita, M.A.A.M. Salleh, S. Smith, Y. Wu, S.D. Mcdonald, A.G.A. Razak, S. Liu, T. Akaiwa, T. Nishimura, International Conference on Electronics Packaging (2017), pp. 1–7.Google Scholar
- 17.R. Shalaby, Int. J. Phys. Res. 3, 1 (2013).Google Scholar
- 18.H. Okamoto, M.E. Schlesinger, and E.M. Mueller, Alloy Phase Diagrams (Materials Park, OH: ASM International, 1992), pp.1–500.Google Scholar
- 19.S.W. Chen, C.H. Wang, S.K. Lin, and C.N. Chiu, Lead-Free Electronic Solders (Boston, MA: Springer, 2006), pp. 19–37.Google Scholar