Realistic Creep Characterization for Sn3.0Ag0.5Cu Solder Joints in Flip Chip BGA Package
- 15 Downloads
Creep tests were performed using a fixture composed of a spring, a micrometer and a heating pad to apply both heat and constant compressive load and elevated temperature to the actual solder joint. A microscopic digital image correlation technique was used to measure creep strains. A full-field deformation map of the cross-sectioned solder joint was generated as different constant loads were applied under different isothermal conditions on Sn3.0Ag0.5Cu flip chip ball grid array solder joints. Nonlinear regression was used to generate constitutive properties using the Garofalo hyperbolic sine model. The obtained constitutive properties were used to perform a finite element analysis simulation to compare the model with experimental results, which showed good agreement.
KeywordsCreep digital image correlation (DIC) Sn3.0Ag0.5Cu solder ball grid array (BGA) finite element analysis (FEA)
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
This study was supported by a research grant from Chosun University (Grant No. K207814001-1), 2018.
- 3.B. Guo, A. Kunwar, H. Ma, J. Liu, S. Li, J. Sun, N. Zhao, and H. Ma, in 16th International Conference on Electronic Packaging Technology (2015).Google Scholar
- 4.J.H. Lau and S.H. Pan, Int. J. Microcirc. Electron. Packag 24, 1 (2001).Google Scholar
- 6.A. Schubert, R. Dudek, E. Auerswald, A. Gollhardt, B. Michel, and H. Reichl, in IEEE, 53rd Electronic Components and Technology Conference, New Orleans, LA, 27–30 May 2003, pp. 603–610 (2003).Google Scholar
- 8.J.H. Lau, Ball Grid Array Technology (New York: McGraw-Hill Inc, 1994).Google Scholar
- 15.S. Wiese, M. Roellig, M. Mueller, S. Rzepka, K. Nocke, C. Luhmann, F. Kraemer, K. Meier, and K.J. Wolter, in IEEE, 1st Electronics System integration Technology Conference, Dresden, Germany, 5–7 Sep 2006.Google Scholar
- 18.P. Lall, K. Mirza, and J. Suhling, in 2016 15th IEEE Intersociety Conference on Thermal and Thermomechanical Phenomena in Electronic Systems (ITherm), Las Vegas, NV, pp. 519–529 (2016).Google Scholar