Optimization of Titanium Nitride Film for High Power RF MEMS Applications
- 14 Downloads
In this paper, TiN film has been deposited and optimized at room temperature for high power radio-frequency microelectromechanical system (RF-MEMS) applications. Being hard, titanium nitride is used in the contact area. The contact material should have low resistance and high hardness. TiN thin films were deposited by DC magnetron reactive sputtering using a four inch high purity titanium target in a nitrogen (N2) environment. X-ray diffraction (XRD) analysis is used to confirm crystal structure and purity of TiN film. The effect of various N2 pressure on resistivity and hardness of TiN thin film is investigated. The resistivity of the film decreases and hardness increases with N2 pressure.
KeywordsTitanium nitride (TiN) DC magnetron reactive sputtering X-ray diffraction (XRD) sheet resistivity
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
The authors would like to thanks CSIR-CEERI, Pilani for providing financial support under MLP-105. The authors would also like to thanks Prof. Anshuman Dalvi from BITS Pilani for XRD results.
- 1.G.M. Rebeiz and R.F.M.E.M.S. Theory, Design, and Technology, 2nd ed. (New Jersey: Wiley, 2003), pp. 1–4.Google Scholar
- 3.H. Kwon, D.-J. Choi, J.-H. Park, H.-C. Lee, Y.-H. Park, Y.-D. Kim, H.-J. Nam, Y.-C. Joo, and J.-U. Bu, IEEE 20th International Conference on Micro Electro Mechanical Systems (2007), pp. 231–234.Google Scholar
- 6.S. Majumder, J. Lampen, R.H. Morrison, J. Maciel, and I.E.E.E. Instrum, Meas. Mag. 6, 12 (2003).Google Scholar
- 8.A. Broue, J. Dhennin, F. Courtade, C. Dieppedale, P. Pons, X. Lafontan, A. Broue, J. Dhennin, F. Courtade, C. Dieppedale, and P. Pons, J. Micro Nanolithography MEMS MOEMS 9, 041102/1 (2011).Google Scholar
- 10.C.D. Patel and G.M. Rebeiz, IEEE MTTS International Microwave Symposium (2012), pp. 1–3.Google Scholar
- 12.A. Broue, J. Dhennin, P. Charvet, F. Courtade, P. Heeb, P. Pons, and R. Plana, Symposium on DTIP of MEMS/MOEMS (2010), pp. 397–402.Google Scholar
- 13.S.H. Kim, H. Park, K.H. Lee, S.H. Jee, D.J. Kim, Y.S. Yoon, and H.B. Chae, J. Ceram. Process. Res. 10, 49 (2009).Google Scholar
- 22.N. Erina, S. Kaemmer, and B. Chunzeng, Nanoscope Multimode 8 AFM Manual (Santa Barbara: Bruker Nano Surfaces Division, 2012), pp. 215–235.Google Scholar