Carrier Transport in the Valence Band of nBn III–V Superlattice Infrared Detectors
- 69 Downloads
Mid-wavelength infrared detectors have been fabricated in the nBn configuration using the InAs/InAsSb superlattice as the absorber. Possible impediments in the valence band can interfere with the transport of holes that represent the signal. We demonstrate that the thermal activation energy of the photocurrent density, as a function of the applied bias voltage, can be a very sensitive probe of the valence band features. We identify and measure two types of impediments, the hole-block due to a band misalignment and the localization sites formed by fluctuations in the superlattice layer thicknesses. The latter are found to dominate the temperature dependence of the hole mobility. Our inferred localization characteristics are consistent with published results obtained by other techniques.
KeywordsIII–V superlattice nBn carrier transport mobility localization
Conflict of interest
The authors declare they have no conflict of interest.
- 3.P. Martyniuk, M. Kopytko, and A. Rogalski, Opto-Electron. Rev. 22, 127 (2014).Google Scholar
- 4.D.Z.-Y. Ting, A. Soibel, L. Höglund, J. Nguyen, C.J. Hill, A. Khoshakhlagh, and S.D. Gunapala, Type − II superlattice infrared detectors.Semiconductors and Semimetals, Vol. 84, ed. S.D. Gunapala, D.R. Rhiger, and C. Jagadish (Amsterdam: Elsevier, 2011), pp. 1–57.Google Scholar
- 17.M.A. Kinch, State-of-the-Art Infrared Detector Technology (SPIE Press, Bellingham, 2014), pp. 44, 58, 134.Google Scholar
- 18.A.S. Grove, Physics and Technology of Semiconductor Devices (New York: Wiley, 1967), p. 129.Google Scholar
- 21.S.L. Chuang, Physics of Photonic Devices, 2nd ed. (Hoboken: Wiley, 2009), p. 32.Google Scholar
- 23.A. Rogalski, Infrared Detectors (Boca Raton: CRC Press, 2011), p. 10.Google Scholar
- 24.A. Rogalski, K. Adamiec, and J. Rutkowski, Narrow-Gap Semiconductor Photodiodes (SPIE Optical Engineering Press, Bellingham, 2000), pp. 134, 154.Google Scholar
- 25.P.W. Kruse, Indium antimonide photoconductive and photoelectromagnetic detectors.Semiconductors and Semimetals, Vol. 5, ed. R.K. Willardson and A.C. Beer (New York: Academic Press, 1970), pp. 15–83.Google Scholar
- 27.Y. Atac, B.V. Olson, J.K. Kim, E.A. Shaner, S.D. Hawkins, J.F. Klem, M.E. Flatte, and T.F. Boggess, Proc. SPIE 9370, 93700 J (2015).Google Scholar
- 29.H.J. Hovel, Solar cells.Semiconductors and Semimetals, Vol. 11, ed. R.K. Willardson and A.C. Beer (New York: Academic Press, 1975), Google Scholar