Impact of In Situ Annealing Time on CdTe Polycrystalline Film and Device Performance
- 54 Downloads
We studied the impact of in situ post-growth annealing process on cadmium telluride (CdTe) polycrystalline thin film in this work. Samples of different annealing times have been characterized by x-ray diffraction (XRD) and a scanning electron microscope (SEM). The optoelectronic properties of CdTe film were deeply studied with light I–V testing, external quantum efficiency (EQE) and photoluminescence (PL)/time-resolved photoluminescence (TRPL) measurements. It is found that the in situ post-growth annealing treatment has a great effect on cadmium sulfide (CdS)/CdTe intermixing as well as interface pinholes. Elementary correlations between annealing time, film and junction morphology, carrier lifetime and device performance were investigated, and the annealing time turns out to be crucial to CdTe device performance. Solar cells with CdTe polycrystalline thin film annealed in situ at 550°C/550°C for 10 min show the best performance. With the help of precisely controlled annealing time, better CdTe film microstructure and morphology can be realized after in situ post-growth annealing.
KeywordsCdTe solar cell in situ annealing TRPL
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
This work was supported by the National High Technology Research and Development Program of China (Grant No. 2015AA050610) and the National Natural Science Foundation of China (Grant No. 61704115).
- 5.C. Ferekides, J. Britt, Y. Ma, and L. Killian, in Presented at the Conference Record of the Twenty Third IEEE Photovoltaic Specialists Conference (1993) (unpublished).Google Scholar
- 7.B. Li, L. Feng, J. Zheng, W. Cai, Y. Cai, J. Zhang, W. Li, L. Wu, and Z. Lei, in Presented at the 2006 IEEE 4th World Conference on Photovoltaic Energy Conference (2006) (unpublished).Google Scholar
- 8.A. Romeo, G. Khrypunov, S. Galassini, H. Zogg, A. Tiwari, N. Romeo, A. Bosio, and S. Mazzamuto, in Presented at the 22nd European Photovoltaics Solar Energy Conference (2007) (unpublished).Google Scholar
- 14.G.C. MLAMorris and S.K. Das, in Photovoltaic Specialists Conference, Conference Record of the Twenty Third IEEE. IEEE (2002).Google Scholar
- 24.A. Kanevce, D. Kuciauskas, T.A. Gessert, D.H. Levi, D.S. Albin, and IEEE, in 2012 38th IEEE Photovoltaic Specialists Conference (Pvsc), pp. 848–853 (2012).Google Scholar