Room Temperature Bonding on Interface Between Metal and Ceramic
- 35 Downloads
The influence of surface activated bonding (SAB) on adhesion strength between a metal and ceramic including Al/AlN and Cu/AlN is investigated. Plasma pre-treatments can significantly increase the adhesion strength between the metal and ceramic through surface activation, which can enlarge the contact area between metal and ceramic. Bonding pressure is also an important factor to improve the adhesion between metal and ceramic during SAB. Successful bonding between the metal and ceramic via SAB can be attributed to the formation of the interface layer where plastic deformation and rearrangement of metal to the ceramic occurs, which improves the atomic scale interconnection between the metal and ceramic. In this study, the influence of experimental SAB conditions for processing such as plasma power, degree of vacuum and bonding pressure on adhesion strength is investigated. Also, the thermal conduction of metal/ceramic laminates is discussed for its potential application as a heat spreader of LED chips.
KeywordsSurface activated bonding plasma pre-treatment adhesion strength processing conditions
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.R. Vairavan, Z. Sauli, V. Retnasamy, and H. Kamarudin, AEB 7, 3634 (2013).Google Scholar
- 7.E. Hong and N. Narendran, in SPIE Conference Proceedings (2004), pp. 93–99.Google Scholar
- 8.H.H. Kim, S.H. Choi, S.H. Shin, Y.K. Lee, S.M. Choi, and S. Yi, Microelectron. Reliab. 48, 444 (2008).Google Scholar
- 13.R.R. Tummala, E.J. Rymaszewski, and A.G. Klopfenstein, Microelectronics Packaging Handbook: Subsystem Packaging, Part 3, 3rd ed. (Dordrecht: Kluwer, 2001), pp. 85–86.Google Scholar
- 17.P. Bujard, G. Kühlein, S. Ino, and T. Shiobara, in ECTC Conference Proceedings (1994), pp. 527–532.Google Scholar
- 26.T. Suga, K. Miyazawa, and Y. Takakashi, J. Jpn. Inst. Met. 54, 935 (1990).Google Scholar
- 27.T. Akatsu, N. Hosoda, T. Suga, and M. Ruhle, Mater. Sci. Forum 329, 294 (1999).Google Scholar
- 28.T. Suga, in LTB-3D Conference Proceedings (2012), pp. 7–10.Google Scholar
- 31.A. Poppe and C.J. Lasance, in SEMI-THERM Conference Proceedings (2009), pp. 151–158.Google Scholar
- 32.T. Akatsu, N. Hosoda, T. Suga, and M. Rühle, Mater. Sci. Forum 329, 294 (1999).Google Scholar