A series of fused CaF2-SiO2 binary fluxes have been developed to investigate element transfer behaviors under high heat input submerged arc welding. Transfer of elements is quantified by Δ quantities, which demonstrate respective contributions from the flux to the weld metal. Effects of SiO2 contents on the transfer of Si, Mn, and O have been thoroughly evaluated. Thermodynamic considerations have been attempted for constraining chemical reactions and mechanisms involved in welding.
This is a preview of subscription content, log in to check access.
Buy single article
Instant unlimited access to the full article PDF.
Price includes VAT for USA
Subscribe to journal
Immediate online access to all issues from 2019. Subscription will auto renew annually.
This is the net price. Taxes to be calculated in checkout.
1. B. Kim, S. Uhm, C. Lee, J. Lee and Y. An: J. Eng. Mater. Technol., 2005, vol. 127, pp. 204–213.
2. D. Viano, N. Ahmed and G. Schumann: Sci. Technol. Weld. Joining, 2000, vol. 5, pp. 26–34.
J. Jorge, L. deSouza, E. Marouco, O. dosSantosFilho, J. Diniz (2017) Weld. Int. 31:499–508.
4. D. Olson, S. Liu, R. Frost, G. Edwards, and D. Fleming: Nature and Behavior of Fluxes Used for Welding, ASM Handbook, Materials Park, OH, 1993, vol. 6, pp. 43–54.
5. S. Kou: Welding Metallurgy, 2nd ed.,Wiley & Sons, New York, NY, 2003, pp. 22–95.
6. A. Liby, R. Dixon and D. Olson: Welding: Theory and Practice, 1st ed., Elsevier Science Publishers B, Amsterdam, Netherlands, 1990, pp. 117–168.
7. C. Dallam, S. Liu and D. Olson: Weld. J., 1985, vol. 64, pp. 140–151.
8. C. Chai and T. Eagar: Weld. J., 1982, vol. 61, pp. 229–232.
9. P. Burck, J. Indacochea and D. Olson: Weld. J, 1990, vol. 3, pp. 115–122.
10. C. Chai: Slag-Metal Reactions During Flux Shielded Arc Welding, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, MA, 1980.
11. N. Pandey, A. Bharti and S. Gupta: J. Mater. Process. Technol., 1994, vol. 40, pp. 195–211.
12. C. Chai and T. Eagar: Metall. Trans. B, 1981, vol. 12, pp. 539–547.
13. U. Mitra and T. Eagar: Metall. Trans. B, 1991, vol. 22, pp. 65–71.
14. U. Mitra and T. Eagar: Metall. Trans. B, 1991, vol. 22, pp. 73–81.
15. U. Mitra and T. Eagar: Metall. Trans. B, 1991, vol. 22, pp. 83–100.
16. G. Belton, T. Moore and E. Tankins: Weld. J, 1963, vol. 42, pp. 289s–297s.
17. L. Sharma and R. Chhibber: J. Pressure Vessel Technol., 2019, https://doi.org/10.1177/0954408918794036
18. X. Zou, J. Sun, H. Matsuura and C. Wang: Metall. Mater. Trans. A, 2019, https://doi.org/10.1007/s11661-019-05387-7.
19. Y. Putilin, A. Romanova, A. Milov: Ionnye Rasplavy, 1976, vol. 4, pp. 79–83.
20. C. Natalie, D. Olson, and M. Blander: Ann. Rev. Mater. Sci., 1986, vol. 16, pp. 389–413.
21. J. Indacochea, M. Blander, N. Christensen and D. Olson: Metall. Trans. B, 1985, vol. 16, pp. 237–245.
22. J. Jang and J. Indacochea: J. Mater. Sci., 1987, vol. 22, pp. 689–700.
23. J. Dowling, J. Corbett and H. Kerr: Metall. Trans. A, 1986, vol. 17, pp. 1611–1623.
24. X. Zou, D. Zhao, J. Sun, C. Wang and H. Matsuura: Metall. Mater. Trans. B, 2018, vol. 49, pp. 481–489
25. S. Terashima and H. Bhadeshia: Sci. Technol. Weld. Joining, 2006, vol. 11, pp. 509–516.
26. J. Zhang, J. Leng and C. Wang: Metall. Mater. Trans. B, 2019, vol. 50, pp. 2083–2087.
27. A. Polar, J. Indacochea and M. Blander: Weld. J., 1990, vol. 69, pp. 69–74.
28. D. Gery, H. Long and P. Maropoulos: J. Mater. Process. Technol., 2005, vol. 167, pp. 393–401.
29. G. Evans: Weld. J., 1980, vol. 59, pp. 67–75.
30. C. Chai and T. Eagar: J. Mater. Energy Syst., 1983, vol. 5, pp. 160–164.
We thank the National Natural Science Foundation of China (Grant Nos. 51622401, 51861130361, 51861145312, and 51850410522), Newton Advanced Fellowship by the Royal Society (Grant No. RP12G0414), Research Fund for Central Universities (Grant No. N172502004), Xingliao Talents Program (XLYC1807024 and XLYC1802024), and Global Talents Recruitment Program endowed by the Chinese government for their financial support. We also thank the State Key Laboratory of Solidification Processing, Northwestern Polytechnical University (Grant No. SKLSP201805), Shagang Steel, and Lincoln Electric China.
Springer Nature remains neutral with regard to jurisdictional claims in published maps and institutional affiliations.
Manuscript submitted August 19, 2019.
About this article
Cite this article
Zhang, J., Coetsee, T. & Wang, C. Element Transfer Behaviors of Fused CaF2-SiO2 Fluxes Subject to High Heat Input Submerged Arc Welding. Metall and Materi Trans B 51, 16–21 (2020) doi:10.1007/s11663-019-01753-3