Characterization, Mechanism and Control Measures of V Segregation in Continuous Casting Billet of C-Mn Steel
- 31 Downloads
To eliminate V segregation, which significantly deteriorates the homogeneity of continuous casting steel billets, V segregation in the C-Mn steel billet was observed by microscope, SEM and EDS. The formation mechanism and control measures for V segregation were proposed. Results show that many slim V segregation strips are distributed on an inverted conical surface and that most segregation strips start from the vertex of the inverted conical surface. A series of inverted conical surfaces containing V segregation strips periodically appears along the longitudinal direction of the billet. The microstructures in the V segregation strip are fine granular structures, while the microstructures outside the V segregation strip are coarse Widmanstätten. The V segregation strip also contains many inclusions and porosities. The formation mechanism for V segregation, which is illuminated by a physical simulation of Al-5wt pctCu alloy, is attributed to the fissure in the equiaxed dendritic network torn by solidification contraction. By controlling the percentage and distribution of equiaxed grains, the V segregation in the billet of C-Mn steel is completely eliminated.
- 2.Committee of the iron and steel institute: J Iron Steel Inst, 1926, vol. 103, 39-176.Google Scholar
- 3.H. Brearley: J Iron Steel Inst, 1921, vol. 103, pp. 27-62.Google Scholar
- 4.K. Suzuki, T. Miyamoto: Trans Iron Steel Inst Jpn, 1974, vol. 14, pp. 296-305.Google Scholar
- 5.B.M. Larsen: Trans AIME, 1945, vol. 162, pp. 414-435.Google Scholar
- 6.S. Asai, I. Muchi: Trans Iron Steel Inst Jpn, 1978, vol. 18, pp.90-98.Google Scholar
- 7.A. Hultgren: J Iron Steel Inst, 1929, vol. 120, pp. 69-125.Google Scholar
- 9.M.C. Flemings: Scand J Metall, 1976, vol. 5, pp. 1-15.Google Scholar
- 10.R. Alberny, in Proc Cong “Continuous casting”, Buenos Aires, 1977, ILAFAGoogle Scholar
- 12.N. Shevchenko, H. Neumann-Heyme, C. Pickmann, E. Schaberger-Zimmermann, G. Zimmermann, K. Eckert, S. Eckert: Materials Science and Engineering, 2017, vol. 228, 012005.Google Scholar
- 18.X.P. Ma, D.Z. Li: International Journal of Cast Metals Research. https://doi.org/10.1080/13640461.2018.1558965.