Compositional and Thermal Characterization of Potential Nano-Carbon Copper Composite
- 146 Downloads
Covetic materials have been claimed to be new types of metal matrix nano-composite materials. These materials are formed from face-centered-cubic metals which are alleged to be super-saturated with up to ~ 10 wt pct of activated nano-carbon. The focus of this study was to characterize the chemical composition of copper covetic materials of varying nano-carbon concentrations, and characterize the thermal properties of these materials in order to determine if these materials exhibit enhanced material properties.
The authors would like to acknowledge Dr. Peter Zavalij at the X-ray Crystallographic Center at the University of Maryland, College Park, and Evans Analytical Group for their contributions to this study. The authors would also like to acknowledge the patent holders for providing the materials analyzed in this study. Finally, the authors would also like to acknowledge the Office of Naval Research award number N00014-15-1-2484, and thank Dr. William Mullins, program manager, for supporting this research.
- 1.L. G. Salamanca-Riba, R. A. Isaacs, A.N. Mansour, A. Hall, D. R. Forrest, M. C. LeMieux, and J. Shugart: Tech Connect World, Santa Clara, CA, 2012.Google Scholar
- 3.M. Zavala: Master’s Thesis, University of Maryland, Baltimore County, Baltimore, 2017, p. 105.Google Scholar
- 5.J. Shugart, R. Scherer and R. Penn: U.S. Patent 9,273,380.Google Scholar
- 6.J. Shugart and R. Scherer: U.S. Patent 8,647,534.Google Scholar
- 7.L. Brown, P. Joyce, D. Forrest, and L. Salamanca-Riba: Materials Performance and Characterization, 2014, vol. 3, pp. 65-80Google Scholar
- 9.MKM Mansfelder Kupfer and Messing GmbH: Copper Certification of Purity, 2014, Heddstedt, Germany.Google Scholar
- 10.Calgon Carbon Corporation: Activated Carbon MSDS, 2007, Pittsburgh, PA.Google Scholar
- 11.Freeport-McMoRan Copper & Gold: Material Post-Process Operations Breakdown, Private Communication.Google Scholar
- 12.D.R. Forrest, I. Jasiuk, Capt. L. Brown, P. Joyce, A. Mansour, and L. Salamanca-Riba: Naval Surface Warfare Center, Carderock Division, 2012, Document Accession Number ADA559436.Google Scholar
- 14.W.J. Boettinger, U.R. Kattner, K.-W. Moon, and J.H. Perepezko: National Institute of Standards and Technology Special Publication, 2006, No. 96-15.Google Scholar
- 15.J. Davis: ASM Metals Handbook Desk Edition, ASM International, Cleveland, 1998, p. 506Google Scholar
- 18.U. Balachandran, B. Ma, S. E. Dorris, R. E. Koritala, and D. R. Forrest: Materials Science and Technology, Salt Lake City, UT, 2016.Google Scholar