Relationship Between Corrosion Resistance and Microstructure Characteristic of Single-Pass Laser-Arc Hybrid Welded Stainless Clad Steel Plate
- 47 Downloads
Superior weld corrosion resistance to base metal (BM) of stainless clad steel plate (SCSP) was achieved by laser-arc hybrid welding with only one pass. Under optimized parameters, the charge transfer resistance of the weld reached 2.3 times higher than the BM, and the corrosion current density decreased to 70 pct of the BM. Considering the inhomogeneity caused by dendrites, an equivalent Cr content, i.e., [Cr]E, was proposed to establish a new relationship between the corrosion resistance and the microstructure characteristic of the SCSP hybrid weld. It suggests better weld corrosion resistance than the BM is obtained when the [Cr]E ≥ 15.5 pct. The results would be suitable to predict the corrosion resistance of the SCSP weld, and promote its industrial application.
The study is supported by the National Natural Science Foundation of China (Nos. 51475183, 51775206, and 51429501). The authors thank Dr. Kangda Hao from Huazhong University of Science and Technology for his technical assistance.
- 2.S. Missori, F. Murdolo, and A. Sili: Weld. J., 2004, vol. 83, pp. 65-71.Google Scholar
- 11.R. Kelsey: Weld. J., 1971, vol. 50, 507.Google Scholar
- 19.T. Nelson, J. Lippold, M. Mills: Weld. J., 1999, vol. 78, 329s.Google Scholar
- 20.T. Nelson, J. Lippold, M. Mills: Weld. J., 2000, vol. 79, pp. 267s-277s.Google Scholar
- 21.S. Kou: Welding Metallurgy, 2nd ed., John Wiley & Sons, Inc., New Jersey, 2003.Google Scholar
- 25.K. Yousuke, U. Yousuke, D. Yuichiro, M. Masami, N. Kouji, K. Hiroshi, T. Manabu, F. Hidetoshi, N. Kazuhiro, K. Seiji: Weld. Int., 2016, vol. 31, pp. 206–13.Google Scholar
- 26.H. Wang, C. Yu, S. Wang, J. Gao: Int. J. Electrochem. Sc., 2015, vol. 10, pp. 1169-1185.Google Scholar
- 30.T. Gooch: Weld. J., 1996, pp. 135-54.Google Scholar