Additively Manufactured Nitrogen-Atomized 17-4 PH Stainless Steel with Mechanical Properties Comparable to Wrought
- 40 Downloads
The microstructure of additively manufactured (AM) nitrogen-atomized 17-4 contains 12 ± 4 pct retained austenite after conventional solutionization annealing at 1323 K (1050 °C) resulting in a yield strength of about half that of wrought, which contains ≈ 100 pct BCC/martensite. An AM17-4 microstructure containing a volume fraction of ≈ 95 pct martensite is achieved by solutionizing at 1273 K (1000 °C) instead of 1323 K (1050 °C), where more nitrogen is trapped as M(C,N)-carbides, followed by further cooling to 233 K (− 40 °C). This alternative solutionization recovers the yield strength of the AM material to > 90 pct of its wrought counterpart, a critical first step toward the implementation of AM17-4 in real-world applications.
The authors would like to thank the Engineering Laboratory at NIST for providing the as-built AM 17-4 samples.
- 1.T.L. Starr, K. Rafi, B. Stucker, C.M. Scherzer, 23rd Annual Solid Freeform Fabrication Symposium, 2012, pp. 439–46.Google Scholar
- 15.Mention of commercial products does not imply endorsement by the National Institute of Standards and Technology, nor does it imply that such products or services are necessarily the best available for the purpose.Google Scholar
- 16.Aerospace Material Specification 5355J, “Steel, Corrosion Resistant, Investment Castings, 16Cr-4.1Ni-0.28Nb-3.2Cu, Homogenization and Solution Heat Treated or Homogenization, Solution, and Precipitation Heat Treated”, SAE Aerospace, SAE International, 2009.Google Scholar
- 17.B.D. Cullity, “Elements of X-ray Diffraction”, 2nd Edition, Addison-Wesley Publishing Company, Inc., Philippines, 1978, pp. 411-5.Google Scholar
- 18.E.A. Lass, M.R. Stoudt, F. Zhang, unpublished research, National Institute of Standards and Technology, 2018.Google Scholar
- 19.Thermo-Calc 2018b, Themo-Calc Software AB, Stockholm, Sweden, 2018.Google Scholar
- 20.TCFE8 Fe-based superalloy database, Themo-Calc Software AB, Stockholm, Sweden, 2016.Google Scholar
- 23.G.B. Olson, M. Cohen, Metall. Trans. A, 1976, vol. 7A, pp. 1897-1904.Google Scholar
- 24.G.B. Olson, M. Cohen, Metall. Trans. A, 1976, vol. 7A, pp. 1905-14.Google Scholar
- 26.AK Steel Product Data Bulletin, 17-4 PH ® Stainless Steel, AK Steel Corporation, West Chester, OH, USA, December 2016.Google Scholar
- 27.ATI Technical Data Sheet, ATI 17-4 TM, Allegheny Technologies Incorporated, Pittsburgh, PA, USA, 2016.Google Scholar