Scalable Ultrasound-Assisted Casting of Ultra-large 2219 Al Alloy Ingots
- 109 Downloads
A scalable ultrasound-assisted direct-chill casting technique was used to manufacture ultra-large 2219 Al alloy ingots (1250 mm in diameter; 2700 mm in net length). Following industrial ultrasonic casting experiments, three fundamental aspects of the resulting alloy were investigated: the microstructural refinement, the macro- and microsegregation mediation at different length scales, and the modification of eutectic skeletons and intermetallic compounds. This work presents new insights regarding the manufacture of ultra-large metallic ingots for special industrial applications.
This project is supported by National Natural Science Foundation of China (NSFC) through Grant No. 51605496, 51475480 and 51575539. X. Li acknowledges the funding support from National Natural Science Foundation of China (NSFC) with No. U1637601. R. Li thanks support from the State Key Laboratory of High Performance Complex Manufacturing through No. ZZYJKT2017-01. This research was also supported by Innovation Driven Program of Central South University (Grant No. 2019CX006). Experimental assistance obtained from all the MPhil/PhD students and technicians at Central South University who may leave or stay at professor Xiaoqian Li’s group is sincerely acknowledged.
- 8.M. Qian, A. Ramirez, and A. Das: J. Cryst. Growth., 2009, vol. 311 (4), pp. 3708–15.Google Scholar
- 9.G. Wang, M.S. Dargusch, M. Qian, D.G. Eskin, and D.H. StJohn: J. Cryst. Growth., 2014, vol. 408, pp. 119–24Google Scholar
- 20.A. Ramirez, Ma Qian, B. Davis, T. Wilks, and D.H. StJohn: Scripta Mater., 2008, vol. 59, pp. 19–22.Google Scholar
- 22.R.Q. Li, Z.L. Liu, F. Dong, X.Q. Li, and P.H. Chen: Adv. Eng. Mater., 2017, vol. 19 (2), pp. 1600375.Google Scholar
- 27. W. Kurz and D.J. Fisher: Fundamentals of solidification, 4th edition., Trans. Tech. Publications, Switzerland, 1998.Google Scholar
- 28.A. Chemin, D. Marques, L. Bisanha, A. deJ. Motheo, W.W.B. Filho, and C.O.F. Ruchert: Mater. Des., 2014, vol. 53, pp. 118–23.Google Scholar