Characterization of Mechanical and Metallurgical Notch Effects of DP980 Steel Weld Joints in Fatigue Performance
- 152 Downloads
This work investigates the use of 980 MPa grade dual-phase (DP) steel joints with pulsed current gas metal arc welding (P-GMAW) for reliable weld performance by comparing actual welded joints with thermo-mechanical simulations. We focus on the weldment characteristics that can cause mechanical and metallurgical notch effects, which impact the fatigue performance of welds. For this purpose, we conduct experiments investigating the use of two types of filler metals and three heat inputs as variables. We find that HAZ regions in the actual weldments have varied microstructures caused by different phase transformations of martensite corresponding to various peak temperatures experienced. We confirm that improved weld geometry plays a key role in enhancing fatigue performance. We identify and discuss the degradation of mechanical properties arising from increasing heat input, in terms of transformation kinetics investigated by means of HAZ thermo-mechanical simulations and thermodynamic calculations. This study provides an overall understanding of the welded joints of DP steel and suggests a way to improve weldability by adjusting the mechanical and metallurgical parameters of various regions in the weldments.
The authors thank the POSCO Technical Research Laboratory for their financial support.
- 1. JE Gould, SP Khurana and T Li, Welding Journal 2006, vol. 85, p. 111-116.Google Scholar
- 3.X.M. Chen, M.F. Shi, G. Chen, M. Kamura, K. Watanabe and Y. Omiya: SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-354.Google Scholar
- 12.R. Koganti, S. Angotti, A. Joaquin and C. Jiang: SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-0632.Google Scholar
- 21.PK Ghosh: Pulse Current Gas Metal Arc Welding: Characteristics, Control and Applications, Springer, Singapore, 2017, pp 289-302.Google Scholar
- 22.A Ohta, K Matsuoka, NT Nguyen, Y Maeda and N Suzuki: Weld. J. 2003, vol. 82, p. 78-83Google Scholar
- 25.Z. Feng, Y. Sang, C. Jiang, J. Chiang and M. Kuo: SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-0256Google Scholar
- 26.S. Kou: Welding Metallurgy, 2nd ed., Wiley, Hoboken, 2003.Google Scholar
- 33. K Poorhaydari, BM Patchett and DG Ivey, Welding Journal 2005, vol. 84, pp. 149s-155s.Google Scholar
- 34.SJ Lee and YK Lee: Materials Science Forum, Trans Tech Publ, Switzerland, 2005, pp 3169-72.Google Scholar