Effect of Shexiang Baoxin Pill (麝香保心丸) in Alleviating Early Hypertensive Renal Injury in Rats
- 4 Downloads
To investigate the effect of Shexiang Baoxin Pill (麝香保心丸, SBP) on early hypertensive renal injury in rats and to explore the possible mechanism.
Twelve-week-old spontaneous hypertensive rats (SHRs) with high-salt diet (dietary containing 8% NaCl) were randomized into the SBP group [40 mg/(kg·d)], losartan potassium group [20 mg/(kg·d)] and saline group by stratified random sampling method, 12 in each group. Blood pressure and urea albumin creatinine ratio were measured. After 10 weeks, the expression levels of serum creatinine (Scr), hypersensitive C-reactive protein (hs-CRP), interleukin (IL)-1 β, IL-6, tumor necrosis factor α (TNF-α), and transforming growth factor β (TGF-β) in serum were assessed. Kidney pathology periodate-schiff staining was performed. Semi-quantitative count of macrophage infiltration was determined by immunochemistry of CD68 staining. Real-time quantitative polymerase chain reaction and Western blot were performed to examine the mRNA and protein expressions of Toll-like receptor 4 (TLR4), nuclear factor κB (NF-κB), monocyte chemokine peptide (MCP-1), inducible nitric oxide synthase (iNOS), and arginase-1 (Arg-1).
SBP did not affect the mortality of SHR (P<0.05). SBP significantly reduced the level of elevated blood pressure of SHRs, but the effect was less significantly than that of losartan potassium. SBP decreased urine protein (P<0.01) and the expression levels of IL-1 β, IL-6, TNF-α, and TGF-β in serum. The 22-week-old SHRs showed mild proliferation of glomerular endothelial cells, glomerular ischemic lesions, inflammatory cell infiltration in renal tubular interstitium and arteriosclerosis. Both SBP and losartan potassium had alleviated renal pathological change, and significantly reduced the infiltration of macrophage (P<0.05, P<0.01). SBP and losartan potassium decreased the expressions of TLR4, NF-κB, MCP-1, iNOS, and Arg-1.
SBP significantly modified the early hypertensive renal injury by reducing inflammation, and the effect was similar to losartan potassium.
Keywordshypertension kidney injury Shexiang Baoxin Pill Chinese medicine inflammation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Guo R, Wang ZW, Wang X, Zhang L, Chen Z, Guo M, et al. Hypertension prevalence for working population in several provinces in China. Chin Circul J (Chin) 2014;29:172–175.Google Scholar
- 2.Writing Group of 2010 Chinese Guidelines for the Management of Hypertension. 2010 Chinese guidelines for the management of hypertension. Chin J Cardiol (Chin) 2011;39:579–616.Google Scholar
- 4.U.S. Renal Data System. USRDS 2009 Annual Data Report: Atlas of chronic kidney disease and end-stage renal disease in the United States. National Institutes of Health, National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases: Bethesda, MD, USA, 2009 disease in China: a cross-sectional survey. Lancet 2012;379:815–822.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 8.Savoia C, Schiffrin EL. Inflammation in hypertension. Curr Opin Nephrol Hypertens 2006;15:152–158.Google Scholar
- 9.Chang W, Han L, Huang H, Wen B, Peng C, Lyu C, et al. Simultaneous determination of four volatile compounds in rat plasma after oral administration of Shexiang Baoxin Pill (SBP) by HS-SPDE-GC-MS/MS and its application to pharmacokinetic studies. J Chromatogr B Analyt Technol Biomed Life Sci 2014;15:47–53.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 11.Xiang L, Jiang P, Zhan C, Chen Z, Liu X, Huang X, et al. The serum metabolomic study of intervention effects of the traditional Chinese medicine Shexiang Baoxin Pill and a multi-component medicine polypill in the treatment of myocardial infarction in rats. Mol Biosyst 2012;8:2434–2442.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 14.Tian D, Ling S, Chen G, Li Y, Liu J, Ferid M, et al. Hypertensive nephropathy treatment by heart-protecting musk pill: a study of anti-inflammatory therapy for target organ damage of hypertension. Int J Gen Med 2011;15:131–139.Google Scholar