Post-marketing Re-evaluation of Tongxiening Granules (痛泻宁颗粒) in Treatment of Diarrhea-Predominant Irritable Bowel Syndrome: A Multi-center, Randomized, Double-Blind, Double-Dummy and Positive Control Trial
- 18 Downloads
To evaluate the efficacy and safety of Tongxiening Granules (痛泻宁颗粒, TXNG) in the treatment of irritable bowel syndrome with predominant diarrhea (IBS-D).
A randomized, double-blind, double-dummy, and positive parallel controlled clinical trial was conducted from October 2014 to March 2016. Totally 342 patients from 13 clinical centers were enrolled and randomly assigned (at the ratio of 1:1) to a treatment group (171 cases) and a control group (171 cases) by a random coding table. The patients in the treatment group were administered orally with TXNG (5 g per time) combined with pinaverium bromide Tablet simulator (50 mg per time), 3 times per day. The patients in the control group were given TXNG simulator (5 g per time) combined with pinaverium bromide Tablets (50 mg per time), 3 times per day. The treatment course lasted for 6 weeks. The improvement of Irritable Bowel Syndrome Symptom Severity Score (IBS-SSS) was used to evaluate the primary outcome. Secondary outcomes included adequate relief (AR) rate, Irritable Bowel Syndrome-Quality of Life Questionnaire (IBS-QOL), Hamilton Anxiety Scale (HAMA), Hamilton Depression Scale (HAMD), and the recurrence rate at follow-ups. Safety indices including the adverse events (AEs) and related laboratory tests were evaluated.
Primary outcome: IBS-SSS at baseline, weeks 2, 4, 6 showed no statistical significance in both full analysis set (FAS) and per protocol set (PPS, P>0.05). After 6 weeks of treatment, the total effective rate of IBS-SSS scores in the treatment group (147/171,86.0%) was higher than the control group (143/171, 83.6%) by FAS (P>0.05). In regard to secondary outcomes, after 6-week treatment, there was no significant difference in AR rate, total score of IBS-QOL, improvement of HAMD and HAMA total scores between the two groups (P>0.05). The recurrence rate at 8-week follow-up was 12.35% (10/18) in treatment group and 15.79% (12/76) in control group, respectively (P>0.05). A total of 21 AEs occurred in 15 cases, of which 11 occurred in 8 cases in the treatment group and 10 AEs in 7 cases in the control group. The incidence of AEs had no statistical significance between the two goups (P>0.05).
Tongxiening Granules could relieve the symptoms of patients with IBS-D and the treatment effect was comparable to pinaverium bromide. (No. ChiCTR-IPR-15006415)
KeywordsTongxiening Granules irritable bowel syndrome with predominant diarrhea post-marketing evaluation randomized controlled trial
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Xiong LS, Chen MH, Chen HX, Xu AG, Wang WA, Hu PJ. A population-based epidemiologic study of irritable bowel syndrome in Guangdong Province. Natl Med J China (Chin) 2004;84:278–281.Google Scholar
- 2.Wang G, Li TQ, Wang L, Xia Q, Chen Y, Zhang RM. A randomized, double-blind, placebo control trial of Tongxiening Granules for the treatment of diarrhea-predominant irritable bowel syndrome (stagnation of the Liver-qi attacking the Spleen). Chin J Evid-Based Med (Chin) 2006;6:84–89.Google Scholar
- 4.Tongxiening Granules Research and Cooperation Group. A randomized, double-blind, placebo control, multicenter clinical trial of Tongxiening Granules for the treatment of diarrhea-predominant irritable bowel syndrome. Chin J Dig (Chin) 2010;30:327–330.Google Scholar
- 7.Bian LQ, Lu F, Li ZH, Li BS, Gao R, Wang FW, et al. Analysis of response of IBS-SSS, AR, and IBS-QOL in IBS clinical effect evaluation. Chin J Integr Tradit West Med (Chin) 2016;36:1191–1196.Google Scholar
- 12.Dai N. Research progress of the relationship between 5-hydrocytryptamine and irritable bowel syndrome. Intern J Dig Dis (Chin) 2010;30:1–3.Google Scholar
- 13.Li DG, Zhao YB. Experimental study on the functional mechanism of pain and diarrhea formula on irritable bowel syndrome. Chin Herb Med (Chin) 2006;37:1681–1685.Google Scholar
- 14.Liu ZJ, Zhao YB. Study on the pain and diarrhea formula in inhibiting the abdominal mast cells degranulation of the sensitized rats. Modern J Integr Tradit Chin West Med (Chin) 2007;16:1900–1903.Google Scholar
- 15.Zhou ZH, Ji JB, Wang ZC. Effects of Shaoyao Gancao Decoction on visceral hypersensitivity of irritable bowel syndrome rats. Chin J Integr Tradit West Med (Chin) 2017;37:575–578.Google Scholar
- 16.Tian SY, Zheng GQ, Wei SC, Song H, Li CY. Effects of Tongxiening Granules on peripheral serum IL-18/ IL-10 of patients with IBS-D. Chongqing Med (Chin) 2013;42:1084–1088.Google Scholar
- 17.Yin PF, He YF. Efficacy of Tongxiening Granules on diarrhea-predominant irritable bowel syndrome and its effect on peripheral serum IL-18 and IL-10. Modern J Integr Tradit Chin West Med (Chin) 2014;23:2447–2448.Google Scholar
- 18.Yang YL, Zheng TZ, Zhai SY, Li W, Xie DP, Ding YH; et al. The effects of Pericarpium citri reticulatae viride and Pericarpium citri reticulatae on the small intestinal longitudinal muscle strips movement of rats. J Lanzhou Univ: Nat Sci Edit (Chin) 2001;37:94–97.Google Scholar
- 19.Chen XX. Preliminary study on the antibacterial activity of allium macrostemon. J Hangzhou Normal Univ (Nat Sci Edit, Chin) 2004;3:337–340.Google Scholar